Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A general forum where you can ask all the basic questions about a miniDSP kit, how to integrate it in your system and make use of this revolutionary low cost DSP board.

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: my 4x10HD appears limited to 48khz digital input

my 4x10HD appears limited to 48khz digital input 1 week 1 day ago #40785

• Alobar
  • Fresh Boarder
I have until now been running my new 4x10HD on my triamped system by feeding input analog from a DAC. In an effort to eliminate the AD/DA conversion I have been trying to get a Toslink feed to the 4x10 and have had success except every time a 24/96 track comes up for play, the sound is dead out of the DSP. The music is going through JRiver, but the digital input meter in the DSP 2x8 shows no input.

I am feeding the 4x10 with a Mini USB Streamer (box) which converts USB to Toslink in stereo as I set up. This plays everything up to 4800hz on the 4x10, but why not 88 or 96khz? I am now using JRiver to down sample everything above 48k to 48 and the music plays.

Not sure if the problem is with the input side of the 4x10, or maybe the output of the toslink from the USB streamer.. Obviously not really willing to downsample all my 24/96 music for the long term so any suggestions would be great, thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

my 4x10HD appears limited to 48khz digital input 1 week 1 day ago #40786

• rybu
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
I have a pipeline like this:

computer -> mini usb streamer -> 4x10HD -> amps.

It plays 96kHz at 24bits just fine.

The first three things I would check if I were you are:

1) is the 4x10HD firmware up to date?

2) is the usb streamer firmware up to date? are you using the right one? It's been a while since I set up the usb streamer but I recall there were a few different versions of the firmware, depending on how you wanted to use it.

3) Is your 4x10HD set up properly with the plugin?

What software are you using to check whether or not it's properly playing at 24bit, 96kHz?

I remember having a similar problem when I was first setting up my 4x10Hd with the usb streamer. In my case, my primary issue was having to do a channel re-mapping but this was with a Linux system with sound driven by ALSA.

my 4x10HD appears limited to 48khz digital input 1 week 16 hours ago #40791

• Alobar
  • Fresh Boarder
rybu wrote:
I have a pipeline like this:

computer -> mini usb streamer -> 4x10HD -> amps.

It plays 96kHz at 24bits just fine.

The first three things I would check if I were you are:

1) is the 4x10HD firmware up to date?

2) is the usb streamer firmware up to date? are you using the right one? It's been a while since I set up the usb streamer but I recall there were a few different versions of the firmware, depending on how you wanted to use it.

3) Is your 4x10HD set up properly with the plugin?

What software are you using to check whether or not it's properly playing at 24bit, 96kHz?

I remember having a similar problem when I was first setting up my 4x10Hd with the usb streamer. In my case, my primary issue was having to do a channel re-mapping but this was with a Linux system with sound driven by ALSA.
Hi, it looks like your setup is the same as mine. As for drivers, everything has been downloaded in the past 6 weeks or so and doesn't appear to be any new drivers listed on the MiniDSP site.
As for setup on the 4x10HD. I have it set up to run with the 2x8 software. Each output has 5 bands of PEQ instead of 6 and while I don't have software to determine its output I had no reason to doubt it when it was being played with analog input.

Now here is what I have that works, and what doesn't. Any track, either 16 or 24 bit plays (via JRiver) so long as it is 48khz or less. Try playing an 88 or 96khz and there is no sound, and the input meter in the DSP software doesn't light up (logged in with the USB cord).

Also all my other windows sound applications are dead sound wise because Win10 doesn't see the right ASIO driver for the MiniDSP at all. What it does see is the USBstreamer "multi channels" even though I have installed the "Stereo" firmware.

Otherwise from within JRiver the current setup plays all my 16 and 24 bit music up to 4800hz. And from within JRiver's DSP Studio I can set the output so that 88 and 96khz tracks to output at 4800 and then and only then they play.

What is "safe mode" and should it be set to on?
Clips of the different tabs on the USBstreamer:
Thanks for your help!!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

my 4x10HD appears limited to 48khz digital input 1 week 15 hours ago #40792

• rybu
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
If you are running Linux with ALSA, perhaps try "speaker-test".

It will try outputting to all available channels on the default device. You can specify the device. It will tell you what bitwidth and frequency it is using. You can also force it to try particular bitwidths and frequencies.

First run "speaker-test" with no arguments, then try "speaker-test --help" to get a list of all options.

speaker-test was what allowed me to figure-out that my system required a channel re-mapping.
Last Edit: 1 week 15 hours ago by rybu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alobar
Moderators: devteam
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds