Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: miniDSP 2x4HD - USB input - Rune/Volumio/Moode

miniDSP 2x4HD - USB input - Rune/Volumio/Moode 3 years 3 months ago #29754

• aleceiffel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi, I want to share here my experience with the DSP input of the miniDSP 2x4 HD with a Raspberry PI Media player :

Raspberry PI player running RuneAudio, Volumio or Moode Audio / USB port --> USB cable --> miniDSP 2x4HD

I wanted a USB connection for the following reasons :
- potentially higher quality than Toslink (I had a HIfiBerry Digi+ plugged over the Raspberry PI3)
- free up the Toslink input of the miniDSP for TV

I had been using RuneAudio 0.4 and Digi+ on Toslink for months without a glitch.
Unfortunately, I could not manage to have the miniDSP 2x4 HD working well under RuneAudio, despite many attempts / reinstalls / tries with the configuration files... I occasionally had sound but then the volume controls of Rune stopped, and the USB input of the miniDSP became non functional, even if plugged on my Mac later on. The only remedy was to re-flash the miniDSP CMOS firmware :huh: and reinstall RuneAudio.

I then tried Volumio version 2 : terrible experience, very slow software. No crash of the miniDSP USB input this time but no way to have proper volume control.

A little bit hopeless I then tried Moode Audio 3.1 (unknown to me before, and based on the same "history" as Volumio and Rune).
The installation was fast, seamless, and everything worked perfectly instantly. I now have much better sound and MPD software volume control at 32bits streamed to the miniDSP 2x4HD ! I am really happy !

In conclusion: for USB streaming with Raspberry Pi on the miniDSP 2x4 HD : consider Moode Audio first.

That's it ! Thanks again to the miniDSP team for such a fantastic product.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

miniDSP 2x4HD - USB input - Rune/Volumio/Moode 3 years 3 months ago #29762

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1111
Very good feedback! Thanks much for sharing @aleceiffel!

Another one worth a trial is Jriver. Check out this post. www.minidsp.com/applications/audio-strea.../udac-8-with-rasp-pi

Devteam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

miniDSP 2x4HD - USB input - Rune/Volumio/Moode 3 years 3 months ago #29773

• aleceiffel
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have not tried Jriver, installation is more complex than ready-made LInux+software suite packages available for the PI. Also it comes with a cost. It has the potential to do some EQ and filtering like the miniDSP though, but I am unsure about the processing power of the PI. I'll certainly consider JRiver one day if I setup a video media center.
Moderators: devteam