Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Really basic miniDSP operating question 8 years 2 months ago #16291

• Champster
  • Champster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
So, I have a 4x10Hd and I love this little box!!!!!! But I have one simple little operational question that I can't find the answer to in this forum.

When I hook up the USB cable to the miniDSP and click the green syncing button, and then make my changes on the computer, ARE THOSE CHANGES SAVED IN THE COMPUTER OR IN THE MINIDSP BOX?

Or to put it another way, when I make a change to a setting on the computer, then close down and unhook the computer, are those changes saved in the miniDSP and the computer?

I think this is right, but just needed to check.

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Really basic miniDSP operating question 8 years 2 months ago #16292

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 753
When you make changes to a synced unit they are saved into the miniDSP but not onto your computer.
You need to also manually "File/Save/Save current configuration" to save the changes to your .xml file in the computer.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Champster, GeorgeBoles

Really basic miniDSP operating question 8 years 2 months ago #16294

• Jim the Oldbie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80

...When I hook up the USB cable to the miniDSP and click the green syncing button, and then make my changes on the computer, ARE THOSE CHANGES SAVED IN THE COMPUTER OR IN THE MINIDSP BOX?

I've never been completely clear on what's happening here either (it's not really explained at all in the user guide), so this afternoon I did a little sleuthing. Note that I was only able to verify the following for the 2x8 (used on the 4x10) and nanoAVR HD plugins; but since these two behave the same way, it's likely a safe bet that this applies to the other platforms as well. Here's what I discovered:

Each of the 4 Configs is stored automatically by the plugin on your computer as an .xml file. These files are found at (2x8 for example) %user%\My Documents\MiniDSP\MiniDSP-2x8\setting\, and are named setting1.xml thru setting4.xml. (Note that these files are _completely independent_ from any that you might create via the "File|Save|Save current configuration" menu item.) These setting*.xml files (and path) are apparently created when the plugin is installed. I certainly don't have any memory of doing so, although I might have been drunk at the time. Hey, wake up! <ahem> Anyway...

The settings*.xml files are opened one at a time according to which Config you have selected. Whenever you switch from one Config to another, the previous file is automatically saved and closed, and the newly selected file is opened. This occurs whether or not you are connected to the miniDSP box. If you are connected, the plugin will check to see if the newly selected Config matches the corresponding slot on the miniDSP unit, and will put up the sync choices dialog if they don't match. Incidentally, the plugin doesn't seem to check the settings themselves to see if they match; there must be a timestamp comparison or something like that. For example, if you make a change to a previously-synced Config while not connected, then undo that change, then connect & select that Config, you'll be asked to resync even thought the settings are still the same.

A few additional notes:

When you start the plugin, it always seems to default to Config 1. When you connect to the device, it will switch to whatever Config the device is set to at that time. After that, the above rules take effect.

This has been mentioned elsewhere, but just in case: Remember that the File|Save operation only saves the currently-selected Config. In order to make a complete backup, you must perform the File|Save operation for each Config individually. But this also makes it easy to copy your settings from one Config to another by first saving the Config you wish to copy, switching to the Config you're copying to, then reloading the first file into that position.

Incidentally, these user-saved files don't appear to be used directly by the plugin at all, except when you actually use File|Load to load them into a Config slot. After that, the new settings become part of the settings*.xml auto-save scheme as described above.

To summarize: Your settings are indeed saved automatically. This happens immediately on the device (when connected), and in the computer whenever a Config is closed (whether by switching to another Config, or closing the plugin itself). But it's still a good idea to back them up from time to time using File|Save, using a nice descriptive filename. You never know when you might want to go back to a previous idea.

As always, any clarifications/ additions/ corrections/ insults are more or less graciously accepted.

Have fun,

-- Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, Champster, GeorgeBoles

Last edit: by Jim the Oldbie. Reason: forgot some stuff

Really basic miniDSP operating question 8 years 2 months ago #16295

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 753
Jim,

Yeah, excellent update.

I still think it's a good idea for all users to deliberately/manually save their configuration(s) to a file with a descriptive name. Consider this as the "backup" to the auto-save feature of the settingX.xml files. If using the settingX.xml files as your working files it's possible to overwrite one of those accidently if you get in a hurry mouse clicking.

When you save to a descriptive named file manually, you'll receive a more familiar "...already exists. Do you want to replace it?" message that will most likely attract your attention.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, Champster, GeorgeBoles

Really basic miniDSP operating question 8 years 2 months ago #16296

• Champster
  • Champster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
Thank you Dave and Jim! I appreciate your help.
Paul

Really basic miniDSP operating question 8 years 2 months ago #16322

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
Dear All,

Some good testing being done here... :-)
The files are indeed autosaved whether you're connected or not and here is a bit more info besides all the goodness shared here:

1) When offline or connected, we grab the settings from settings.xml and turn them into RAM based files (i.e. not hard drive access so it's faster).
2) When closing the software, we turn these settings and save them to the settings.xml

So unless your software crash or you CTRL+ALT+DEL or you never closer your plugin, we don't save them to the settings.xml. The suggestion by Dave is therefore valid (i.e. keeping a rev somewhere with save as).

Does all this make a bit of sense?

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Champster

Really basic miniDSP operating question 6 years 7 months ago #26212

• cykeltur
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
so if you have a setting ON the device and lost the PC saved file,
can you "backup" this setting from the PCB (and then save this on PC??

Really basic miniDSP operating question 6 years 7 months ago #26238

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1451
@ cykeltur

No you can't "recover/backup" settings that are on the miniDSP 2x4/4x10. It all depends on the hardware you're using.
Some platforms can e.g. PWR-ICE recover configuration from the DSP.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cykeltur

Really basic miniDSP operating question 6 years 7 months ago #26242

• cykeltur
That was sad to hear, that i must reset the miniDSP 2x4 and start again if/when i lost the tweeked setting-xml.

Really basic miniDSP operating question 4 days 11 hours ago #63984

• Powerplaymike
Hi I know this is an old thread but hoping someone could assist:

I'm using a mac, and my 2x4HD acts strange where sometimes it doesn't properly swap configs / defaults to the default config (ie - one sub muted) even though the config slot itself is loaded with the proper config / etc.  

I decided to start with a fresh restore.
First thing i did was connect the 2x4HD, click "connect" and then click Restore -> Factory Default.
Looks like it did it's thing, where it reset itself and updated the screen to the default configs.

However, I closed the app, and reopened it, and now it's still showing my prior configuration settings until I click "connect" again.
I even rebooted my mac, and same thing

See attachment.  Does that seem right?   Based on the above posts, I would have thought it would autosave the new config?  
Unless I'm mis understanding.

And then next question:   If I want to reinstall the plug in on my mac, what is the best way?
Dragging the application to the trash, or are there files that should be deleted?

Thanks so much!
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: devteam