Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Main forum for support questions you may have for the community. Post your issues and we'll all try to help resolve them.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

old-timey radio -> new bluetooth DIY stereo 8 years 7 months ago #14693

• bcole23
  • bcole23's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 3
I'm starting a project for my wife which is to turn an old radio that she purchased for $10 into a bluetooth stereo for our living room. I used to do car stereo systems back in the day but am new to DIY home electronics.

I wanted to do something that sounds great, but don't need to necessarily go to true audiophile lengths in this build. Since I'm new to doing electronics, I don't want to be building my own circuits, but really just doing more of integrating existing pieces to get a kick ass system.

I've attached the parts that I'm currently considering.

please look at the enclosed schematic. Is this the most efficient way to do this? I want separate channels for the tweeter and woofer and the sub to also be separate. Using 2 miniDSP's should allow me to do all crossovers etc in an integrated way I'm hoping. I've never done power this way either so I don't really know if I'm way off there or not. Basically, just want a pot with on/off switch.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

old-timey radio -> new bluetooth DIY stereo 8 years 7 months ago #14694

• bcole23
(Trying to insert my excel table here for parts...)
Price
Parts Overall size Freq Resp Internal L/W/H Internal volume
MID 24.57 2 49.14 50W rms 8 ohm 5.31" 50 to 7,000 Hz 12"H x 5.25"W x 5"D .10396 cu. ft www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ds135...fer-speaker--295-426
Tweeter 20.45 2 40.9 50W rms 8 ohm 4.33" 1,300 to 20,000 Hz n/a Dayton Audio DC28FT-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Truncated Tweeter
SubWoofer 59.05 1 59.05 40W rms 4 ohm 6.13" 45 to 1,500 Hz 6 7/8"H x 11 1/4"W x 5"D .222 cu. ft www.parts-express.com/tang-band-w5-1138s...m-subwoofer--264-831
total dimension 21.125"H x 12.75"W x 6.5"D Need to validate dimensions
PolyFill 4 1 4 Bag of loose ployfill
6ch amp 60 1 60 100W rms 8 ohm www.parts-express.com/6x100w-tda7498-cla...ifier-board--320-307
Requires a 36-39V Power supply
bluetooth 70 1 70 estore.nuforce.com/nuforce-btr-100-high-...ac-digital-receiver/
ground loop isolator
Power to all this 60 1 60 www.parts-express.com/36-vdc-97a-350w-re...wer-supply--320-3141
MiniDSP 82 2 164 www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/2-x-in-4-x-out
- with 2.1 plugin 10 1 10
3 LED lights
Volume w/on/off switch 10 1 10 electronics.mcmelectronics.com/search?ca...meter+switch&x=0&y=0
10K Linear or Log pot with switch, knurled post of either 1" or .25" if mounting straight to plastic
UMIK-1 75 1 75 www.minidsp.com/products/acoustic-measurement/umik-1
Measurement microphone

Last edit: by bcole23. Reason: didn't attach excel correctly it seems..

old-timey radio -> new bluetooth DIY stereo 8 years 7 months ago #14721

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1452
Neat setup and no problems seen on this configuration.
However note that your DC power + volume control won't work. DC input is a completely different pin so you can't feed DC in to the Potentiometer input.
You need as follow instead: :
1 x Toggle switch to toggle your DC power supply and feed that DC supply to the "DC input" of the miniDSP 2x4 (see user manual) AND to the amps.
1 x potentiometer shared on both miniDSP 2x4 to control the volume. That connection is to the "Volume control pot input as shown on your schematics"

makes sense?

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

old-timey radio -> new bluetooth DIY stereo 8 years 7 months ago #14752

• bcole23
The potentiometer is the kind with an on off switch built into it. My understanding is that it would turn the power to the switched power supply on and off. The schematic doesn't show that internally, it's separate circuits for the on/off and the volume control. If I'm wrong about that, I would really need to know!

287-2256 - Potentiometer with DPST Switch - Audio Taper 10K Ohm
electronics.mcmelectronics.com/search?ca...meter+switch&x=0&y=0

If it is better for me to put in a push/pull on of switch separately and have a volume control pot only, due to "electronic stuff".. then I will happily do that.

old-timey radio -> new bluetooth DIY stereo 2 months 4 weeks ago #62650

• AlvinPhelan
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for sharing and now with digital technology cadena 100 online radio can now be more optimized with classic radios.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam