Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ...

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 8 months ago #11135

• JDC
  • Fresh Boarder
My miniSHARC won't sync.

The plugin 'sees' the SHARC when I click sync and the dialog box starts that shows the bytes to and from the SHARC.

But then it gets stuck in a loop: it asks to 'reset to factory defaults' or 'close the application' and when I click on 'defaults' it talks to the SHARC and the dialog box shows read/write to the SHARC but it just comes back to 'reset to factory defaults' or 'close the application' and just does it again and again ... :(

I've tried updating the firmware with the 96k plugin according to the manual (reset button, load fw, reset) but it just does the same loop: 'reset to factory defaults' or 'close the application'

By the way, the manual says that there's a firmware upgrade tool but I couldn't find it but I noticed that all the plugins have an 'upgrade firmware' option so I just used that. Is that correct?

What's my next step in trouble shooting?
Thanks,
Jeff
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 8 months ago #11152

• Delle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
I have had similar issues and found it to be the UBS cables. The connector on the MiniSharc is not that solid. Mine even pulled away from the board and needed to be re-soldered.

Use the 5 pin header USB connection and it will be much more stable. Or just replug the cable several times and it should wake up.

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 8 months ago #11170

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1125
Jeff,

Quite odd symptoms and not sure what could be the reasons but few questions:
- Do you have anything connected to the board now? (e.g. MCLK/external device?)Try to remove some variables and use
- What power supply are you using for this setup?
- I'm guessing that you're using the latest plug-in? Firmware is available under the ZIP file and it's included in the MiniDSP\miniSHARC-4x8\firmware_tools\Windows
- Did you insure that you're not trying to load a configuration file from a 48k miniSHARC configuration inside a miniSHARC 96kHz?

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 6 months ago #12026

• JDC
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok, I'm back!

Sorry to post and run but let's just say my delay involves ... a divorce and bail conditions! :(

Maybe I should just start back at the beginning:

1) How do I 'reset' the SHARC back to defaults (firmware)?

2) I have the volume control. If the SHARC is working correctly, I should see the volume move up and down in the plugin as I rotate the volume on the control board correct? That will tell me it it's synced properly right.

Thanks,
Jeff

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 6 months ago #12027

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 658
Jeff,

You may have incurred the same situation I did with the miniSHARC. I suspect I loaded an .XML file from the wrong plug-in and it put the miniSHARC in a loop/mode as you describe in your first post. Factory defaulting the unit/firmware would not work, but I contacted the fellas at miniDSP and they supplied me with an alternative firmware that REALLY defaults the unit to square one and that worked fine.

Run the miniDSP upgrade utility and perform the power-on sequence where you hold the reset button while applying power and then release the button.
Load the "force header" file first and perform the program/verify/reset evolution. Then repeat the process with the "singleSHARC" file. That should get your board back on the air.

(rename the files to .hex extension.)

Dave.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by dreite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 6 months ago #12030

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1125
Dave is right (as usual.. ;-), you might want to try the trick to hard reset the board.
Do keep us updated if you need further help.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 6 months ago #12375

How do I download these files? If I click the link it just displays huge lines of numbers and letters

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 6 months ago #12378

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
It sounds like you were successful. On Windows you'd right-click and then select "save link as." They need to be renamed to a .hex extension since this forum doesn't support attachments with a hex extension.

Dave.

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 6 months ago #12379

Hi Dave,

It took me ages to work out. not sure why, I've downloaded stuff like that before, I think I was looking for "Save file as" or something, thanks for the help. :)

Regards Ollie

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 2 months ago #14590

• robin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi guys,

I´m having the same problems with the "restore to factory settings or close the app" loop. I was quite happy that Dave had a solution to this, but even after doing the "Force header" firmware update (with "singleSharq" afterwards) few times I´m still encountering the same problems. When I start the application and try to sync, it says "Device with #serial found... Please choose from the following options: sync & upgrade, restore ALL to default, help, close". Neither "sync & upgrade" nor "restore all" will bring me back online. Just getting the loop procedure again. When I close the application and restart it and try to sync, it seems to be synced but it shows a continuous Input and Output on all channels with level of "3dB" although no input is connected.

Please note that I did not connect any other boards at this time (though I want to connect the VOL- and AN-board as well as 3 Curryman DACs later). Just miniSharc with mini-USB cable and 5V-DC.

Another strange thing is that I get different serialnumbers displayed each time I make the "hard firmware reset".

Best regards,
Robin

PS: "default firmware" that comes with v1.04 and beta firmware v1.5 tested
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by robin.

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 1 month ago #14591

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
Robin,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling your plugin as well? In between uninstalling and reinstalling back up and then delete the four setting files in your my documents folder as well.

Maybe that might work? I dunno. :)

Dave.

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 1 month ago #14592

• robin
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for your quick answer Dave! :)

After few tries I thought that that was my problem not to remove the xml files. I have uninstalled both the plugin and deleted all settings.xml files. Before syncing I restore the settings to default.

How do I know if the new "minidsp.bin" firmware is applied to the plugin? Should it state V1.5, 2.013? Because I still see V1.4, 2.013

Thanks for your recommendations! ;-)

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 1 month ago #14595

• robin
  • Fresh Boarder
here is what I posted into another thread with the same topic:

Hi guys,

my board was working again for few minutes.

I´m not sure what exactly was the determing step but this is what I`ve done: (and please don´t laugh B) )
- I´ve read that the board is hard to its clock limit. So I`ve put the board for 10min into the fridge. (I think this step is essential!)
- Reinstall the Plugins
- Delete all .xml-settings in Documents\miniDSP\...
- Add the new minidsp.bin in miniDSP\miniSHARC-4x8\add\
- Upgrade the firmware with firmware upgrade tool. first "ForceHeader.hex" afterwards "signleSharc.hex" that comes with firmware beta v1.5
- start the plugin. "Restore"--> "factory default". Push the green syncronize button. Choose "syncronize & upgrade" and I was back on air.

The Sharc-IC gets hot again (I mean I can feel it warm with my thumb)
BUT: I restarted the plugin to make sure I´m back online and I´m again in the same "restore to deault"-loop.

I can reporduce this behavior.

I guess I´m still running Firmware V1.4?! But I´m sure I placed the new "minidsp.bin" into miniDSP\miniSHARC-4x8\add\ .

In the plugin it says Version v1.4, 2.013

Enclosed is the settings.xml where I´m back online [rename *.txt to *.xml]

File Attachment:

File Name: backonline.txt
File Size:234 KB

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by robin.

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 1 month ago #14596

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
The firmware is version 2.013, and the plugin will display as version v1.4. So, it sounds like you have the latest firmware installed.

I'm wondering about the heat comment. The chip on mine is barely warm to the touch and my IR thermometer is showing 30 degrees C.

Not sure what's going on with your board.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robin

Can't sync with miniSHARC? Upgrading firmware ... 6 years 1 month ago #14600

• robin
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Dave for the confirmation that I´m running the latest versions. Still a question: What does the new "minidsp.bin" (from Download section beta v1.5)?

What I forgot to mention is that even when the board is "working" I´m having random input on SPDIF Input2 (thought no SPDIF connected) and random output on ch 4 and ch 8. All other outputs show NaN. The I2S Inputs seem to work (according to VU meter movement) but won´t be routed to the outputs (although they are routed)
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam