Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60945

• Satx
  • Satx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi, I know this subject has been beat to death, but I’m not asking how to get digital output from the 2x4HD. What I’d like to know is if there’s a device I can buy that can process the four channel signal output by the USB port and give me a digital out, usb or spdif to feed my dac/preamp. Either Minidsp or other. Sources are a steamer through toslink and a turntable currently run through a Swissonic A/D converter. 

I use an RME ADI-2 for both dac and preamp duties. I use balanced out with 40’ cable runs so I don’t want to place the 2x4HD after the dac. I don’t need crossover function and I only need two channels as my speakers are passive. I originally used the 2x4HD for the W/M XO and global eq, but eventually just designed full passive XO’s. The device has been in a drawer for a couple years and I’d like resurrect it and add Dirac to my two channel system. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60947

• Ultrasonic
  • Thank you received: 636
Do you know there is even any USB output to be using in the first place? I didn't think there was but am open to being corrected. Note that the specification for the 2x4 HD doesn't refer to bi-directional USB operation in the same way it does for, for example, the SHD.

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60948

• Satx

Do you know there is even any USB output to be using in the first place? I didn't think there was but am open to being corrected. Note that the specification for the 2x4 HD doesn't refer to bi-directional USB operation in the same way it does for, for example, the SHD.

I believe it is bidirectional. This is from page 15 of the manual-
“4.3 USB
Connect the USB (Type B mini) port of the miniDSP 2x4 HD to a free USB 2.0 port on your computer using the supplied cable. The USB is used for:
• Configuration and real-time control of the miniDSP 2x4 HD,
• Streaming audio from a computer or other device such as a music streamer, at up to 192 kHz, and • Streaming the processed audio (four output channels) from the miniDSP 2x4 HD to the computer.”

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ultrasonic

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60949

• Satx

I believe it is bidirectional. This is from page 15 of the manual-
4.3 USB
Connect the USB (Type B mini) port of the miniDSP 2x4 HD to a free USB 2.0 port on your computer using the supplied cable. The USB is used for:
• Configuration and real-time control of the miniDSP 2x4 HD,
• Streaming audio from a computer or other device such as a music streamer, at up to 192 kHz, and
• Streaming the processed audio (four output channels) from the miniDSP 2x4 HD to the computer.

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60950

• Satx
Sorry for the duplicate post

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60952

• Ultrasonic
Yes, you're right, just like the SHD then  .

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60957

• Satx
Yes, I think so. I believe it can only be used into a computer unfortunately, not directly into a dac. I’d certainly be open to being wrong though

Do you know if one of the usb streamer units would do the trick? I’m not really sure what they’re meant for

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60959

• asx77
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 141
Warning: Just because I'm a 'Platinum' member, doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about... It just means I've asked too many questions!!

Last edit: by asx77.

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60963

• Ultrasonic

I believe it can only be used into a computer unfortunately, not directly into a dac. 

You definitely can't just connect directly to a USB DAC. Purely speculating I vaguely wonder if the 'computer' could be a Raspberry Pi to give you a way to achieve what you want but I don't know anything like enough about this side of things to know.

This is probably obvious but buying a digital Flex would solve your issues.

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60965

• Satx

I believe it can only be used into a computer unfortunately, not directly into a dac. 

You definitely can't just connect directly to a USB DAC. Purely speculating I vaguely wonder if the 'computer' could be a Raspberry Pi to give you a way to achieve what you want but I don't know anything like enough about this side of things to know.

This is probably obvious but buying a digital Flex would solve your issues.

Pretty sure a Raspberry Pi would do it and I’ve been looking into that option, but I know next to nothing about it. Some things I’ve read suggest the audio quality isn’t great without additional hardware though. 

The Flex would solve my issues, no doubt! But it’s more than I want to spend and having the 2x4HD already is what got me thinking along these lines, so to not use it wouldn’t be ideal

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60966

• Ultrasonic
Have you tried using your 2x4 HD instead of your RME DAC? 

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60967

• Satx
Yes, I used it that way in the past, but basically hated it. It’s ok as a dac I guess, but it makes a pretty terrible preamp imo. I need some visual confirmation of volume and input personally. And a volume knob!

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60971

• Ultrasonic

Yes, I used it that way in the past, but basically hated it. It’s ok as a dac I guess, but it makes a pretty terrible preamp imo. I need some visual confirmation of volume and input personally. And a volume knob!

I agree that a display makes a huge difference and is probably the single biggest reason I prefer my SHD to the 2x4 HD I previously used as a DAC/Pre. 

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 6 months ago #60979

• Satx
Can anyone tell me how to get the audio output over USB from the 2x4HD to a MacBook to output over USB to an external dac? So it is Source via toslink——>2x4HD——>USB out——> MacBook——>MacBook USB out——> RME ADI 2 dac

Audio Midi doesn’t really do anything. Do I need a player to “play” the audio received from the 2x4 out to the dac? I would think simply setting the 2x4HD as the input device and the dac as output should work, but it does nothing. 

Minidsp has a use case article for using the usb output of the 2x4HD to record vinyl using free recording software. So maybe that would work with different software, but if I use a computer, I’d want to run it headless, so bypassing an additional player would probably be more stable. 

2x4HD digital out hardware requirement 1 year 5 months ago #61065

• mdsimon2
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 102
You need some way of capturing the signal from the 2X4HD and redirecting it to your ADI 2. One way of doing this is using CamillaDSP which can be run on a RPi or Mac. Signal path looks like: TOSLINK or analog source -> 2X4HD -> USB in -> RPi or Mac w/ CamillaDSP -> USB out -> ADI 2. All that is needed is setting the 2X4HD as your capture device and the ADI 2 as your playback device in CamillaDSP. Especially if you have the existing hardware this is a very nice way of building a digital output Dirac device (after upgrade to DDRC-24). See links below for more info.

www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.p...ut.19976/post-851178
www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.p...adsp-tutorial.29656/
www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/camil...rrection-etc.349818/
github.com/HEnquist/camilladsp

Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ultrasonic

• Page:
Moderators: devteam