Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can anyone recommend a simple multi channel amplifier? 1 month 4 days ago #56964

• audiophile_noob
  • audiophile_noob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a pair of cheap Micca MB42x that I am going to tinker with. I am thinking of plugging the ports, removing the passive crossovers and replacing them with an active crossover using MiniDSP. I figured that for a pair of 2-way speakers, a MiniDSP 2x4 would do the job. But can anyone recommend a multi channel amplifier that has at least 4 channels and a volume control that adjusts all channels at once ( 2 tweeters + 2 woofers). Preferably a finished product in a proper casing, comes with a power cord, etc. I am also open to using a board such as the one in the following link... well maybe similar to this one... but not this particular one:

www.banggood.com/SANWU-TPA3116-2_1-Versi...tml?cur_warehouse=CN

I am actually currently using the one above in a stereo setup. It only costs me around $10 a couple of years ago but I had to make some modifications to it otherwise it sounded terrible (they stuffed up the resistors in their design), so I am going to avoid similar products in the future. $10 was probably too cheap.  ;-)   But it does sound good for a Class D after the mods.

My goal is to be able to adjust the sound of my system with one knob. No need to adjust the volume of the woofers and tweeters separately. I don't need one of those $1,000 amplifiers as I use my speakers with my computer mainly for listening to music and occasional gaming. I reckon 50W per channel would do. No need for fancy features such as wireless control, LCD displays etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can anyone recommend a simple multi channel amplifier? 2 weeks 1 day ago #57182

• andyr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Why do you need a (4-channel) amplifier which has a volume control?  If you used a 10x10HD, you could control volume with the miniDSP unit itself.

Andy

Can anyone recommend a simple multi channel amplifier? 2 days 3 hours ago #57376

• daveing
  • Thank you received: 2
I purchased a 17 y.o. AV receiver for such a task.
If you go for a receiver from about the time of SA-CD and DVD-Audio, many will have a set of 7.1 Ext In RCA's, as their was no digital out for those players. Perfect for cheap stereo two-way or stereo 3-way amplification.

Of course, you want to check that there's a direct mode (no processing) for those inputs. (which there should be)

I got a Denon AVR-3803.

edit: Oh, with your computer... you may not have the room nor want the heat source on your desk.

Last edit: by daveing.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam