Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DDRC-88A and 8x8 safe shutdown on power outages 1 month 2 weeks ago #56814

• midas
  • midas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi

Professional sound engineer and installer here. Both the MiniDSP DDRC-88A and the older 8x8 platform has a problem that if the power input is cut abruptly, both can give very loud pops on their outputs. The problem exists because most amps in a system retains enough charge to work a couple of seconds after the outage, so they'll amplify the large pop. This is very dangerous in a high-power home theater, both for speakers and potentially users. And I have one client that has thus rejected using MiniDSP. I've tried various PSUs.

Any suggestion on how to build a system that is safe? I'm considering putting the 12V PSU on a little UPS to allow it to survive a little bit longer than the amps. This way the pops that might occur arrives after the amps have shutdown. Is there anything that can be done on the HW-side in these devices to allow a safer shutdown? Anything on the PSU-side? I know most SMPS aren't that happy with large capacitors on their secondary side, so that might not be a good option.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DDRC-88A and 8x8 safe shutdown on power outages 1 month 2 weeks ago #56819

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1299
@ midas

This is extremely odd indeed.. How old is that miniDSP 8x8 and DDRC-88A? Do you mind to create a support ticket with our team? 
Reason we ask is because pop noise issues on these platform have been solved long time ago.. Wondering if maybe you're using very old platform? 

please start a support ticket so we can investigate. With the latest firmware and providing these aren't the first board we shipped, it shouldn't happen. 

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam