Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SHD Studio with nanodigi or plateamp? 5 days 15 hours ago #56143

• eiv
  • eiv's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2
i am planning a complete diy speaker build, stereo subwoofers and two main speakers, MTM 2 way design, thinking 3 channels per side for the mains speakers since i dont like to parallel my two 7ohm woofers(could not get 16ohm drivers). 
my problem is figuring out how to do the digital crossover and dsp, i own the SHD Studio, but it only has 2 channels, currently use it for volume and general peq and crossover between main speakers and subwoofer.  as i think i will be using it in the new diy system. 

Is there a problem with the shd studio peq and a nandigi doing dsp at the same time?  the studio will then be only doing peq as room correction and the nanodigi as 2 way crossover.

Or i could use the studio digital outputs to a 3 way plate amp like the hypex fusionamp 123. any conflict or degradations from all the dsp in the chain?

Lets me know if got this all wrong and there is a better solution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by eiv. Reason: forgot to set icon

SHD Studio with nanodigi or plateamp? 3 days 1 hour ago #56190

• Jukka
  • Thank you received: 3
I got SHD and I use it to split between power amps + main speakers and subwoofer. I'm right now building new speakers with Hypex plate amps and I'm going to use SHD digital out to let the signal be digital as far as possible. That way there is going to be less noise compared to additional analog steps.

You can do DSP to signal in SHD (Studio) and even volume control before additional DSP in plate amp. The digital signal has so high dynamic range that it should be able to handle this kind of signal chain with ease

I've ordered my hardware, but I had track them down from 4 different suppliers, so completing my project is still going to take 2-3 weeks. I'll report here when it's complete to confirm pros or cons of this connection.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eiv

SHD Studio with nanodigi or plateamp? 2 days 21 hours ago #56195

• eiv
  • Away
thanks Jukka and keep us updated when you know more.
I am a bit over my head here, i am trying to avoid plate amp for reliability and flexibility. but sometimes i just want a simple solution instead of 3 dac's and 3 power amps.
If i got with plate amps then i do not want to build them into my speakers, but then there is a mess of wires i have to find a solution for.  
I already got 2 power amps and 2 dac's, do not know if it makes for some issues since they are all different types. 
Not to mention what quality is the built in dac's in the plate amps.

SHD Studio with nanodigi or plateamp? 2 days 19 hours ago #56196

• Jukka
I've read from other forums that Hypex FusionAmp plates are very good performance wise and their reliability is good. One local reseller said they haven't had any returns in years.

One good alternative is to make separated box for each plate amp, which you can place next to/under/on top of/screw on the outside back of speaker. Here is one that is built to separated aluminium cases.

If you put a grand on the plates and find them good, you should consider keeping them in case you change speakers and then it helps if they are easily detachable. But selling active speakers without the plate can be difficult, unless others do the same 🙂

Last edit: by Jukka.

SHD Studio with nanodigi or plateamp? 1 day 22 hours ago #56202

• eiv
  • Away
reliability seems to be good, especially if you have separate chamber for them on the back of speaker, but then there are some designs i make that do not have room for that. 
building a wood frame for them to stand on separate from the speaker is another option that increases reliability.  or a nice metal box like then one you linked. 
i am still worried about hiss noise from plate amps, never heard a silent speaker yet. and all the active subwoofers i had over the years have failed or had issues. 

selling these things seems like a problem, and who would trust me to do great crossover design.....  maybe just sell them as drivers with box, no crossover. 

SHD Studio with nanodigi or plateamp? 1 day 21 hours ago #56203

• Jukka
FusionAmps are not air tight, they got ventilation holes, that is mentioned in the manual. So if they shared air space with say woofers, the small holes would act as ports or resistance holes, which would cause noise, ruin the speaker tuning and directivity to a certain degree. The effect is small, but I've read experiences where it is clearly audible. So definitely separated box or sealed compartment inside speaker box. You can also add larger air vents so good air flow is ensured.

One reason for hiss in active speakers can be that tweeter is directly connected to amplifier without passive attenuation. Tweeters are usually much more sensitive than woofers and sensitivity of a woofer is usually traded for bass extension, so in passive speakers there is much attenuation to tweeters, which brings hiss down. Things to try, 1. twist your speaker leads from amps to drivers and 2. add resistors to attenuate the tweeter. Both methods are known to reduce hiss. I'll try without any attenuation first and report back if I decide to go for passive resistors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: eiv

SHD Studio with nanodigi or plateamp? 1 day 20 hours ago #56204

• eiv
  • Away
my designs are sealed, and filled with stuffing, so definitely no place for a plate amp. i was also thinking as you said, making a separate compartment on the back with extra openings for airflow.  the more cooling the longer they last and possibly more power you can use before issues.  

i hear your thoughts on the tweeter attenuation, hope this is not the only solution because its a step back from my goals.
that will also mean that the same hiss issue will show up in my power amp setup and not only a plate amp issue.
luckily this is easily testable, i can hook up my tweeter to my power amps and listen. just a few weeks delivery time.....

• Page:
Moderators: devteam