Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: grid load change minidsp nanodigi crack

grid load change minidsp nanodigi crack 1 month 2 weeks ago #43158

• marko91
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Community,

I have some problems with my minidsp nano digi!

Well I bought it about a year ago and started my 3-way active stereo diy-Project. I use the nano digi as digital crossover and gain control. The chain starts with optical toslink signal to the nanodigi, where the crossover splits it in 6 coax-digi-signals from there 3 fijo dacs on each loudspeaker convert it to a analog singal. For the amplication I use a wondom tamp-300/500 for each louspeaker.

Well first of all: The Speakers sound amazin. They're direct with a good dry bass. i'm proud and the whole minidsp setup is amazing!!!

The only disturbing thing is, that whenever a load change in the house electricity grid occurs, my chassis produce a loud cracking noise. For example i listen to music and switch the light on: Crack!

Well of course i started a root cause analysis about this. Tried different power supplys for each part, different cables and so on. Eventually used the chain without the minidsp nano digi. I just directly linked the toslink source to the dac. i of course used an test signal, because the frequency was not split in this case. in this case i could switch the light, and so on without any crack. So i could conclude that the mini dsp is the cause of the cracking.

What did I do wrong? The only thing I canged is the power supply because the dacs also needed 5 V. But I used one with enough ampere for all the things. Does the minidsp need a special stabilised power supply? It didn't seem to me to be like this? How can I prevent those load changes to disturbe my minidsp?

Best regards.
Marko
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by marko91.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

grid load change minidsp nanodigi crack 1 month 1 week ago #43236

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1038
@Marko

Sounds like the problem that is maybe the way everything is driven from the same power supply (not wanting to dive into the way grounding works on this setup.. ;-), rather than the nanoDIGI..:-) A quick trial would be to check what's happening when you have an external 5V power supply. THa'ts a 2min test?

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

grid load change minidsp nanodigi crack 1 month 1 week ago #43292

• marko91
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey Devteam.

Thanks for support ;) I just tried your test: I powered the nanodigi with an external powerbank. But unfortunalety the cracking noise is even worse! What else can I try ? The signal directly from source to dac works without any cracking noise.

Regards,
Marko

grid load change minidsp nanodigi crack 1 month 1 day ago #43334

• marko91
  • Fresh Boarder
Can no one help?

grid load change minidsp nanodigi crack 3 weeks 16 hours ago #43597

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1038
@marko91

Unfortunately unsure what this could be here.. There must be something in your custom diy setup that triggers it (could be back to the amp SPDIF input?) We've never seen this before so unsure.. The fact that adding an external power supply creates another symptoms could prove that it's not down to the DC.. It's possibly down to your specific grounding of the boards and SPDIF connectivity (all SPDIF are isolated).. Just a thought..

devteam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
Moderators: devteam