Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Using HA-DSP as pre-amp... bad idea or good idea?

Using HA-DSP as pre-amp... bad idea or good idea? 1 week 2 days ago #34524

• atolol
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi!
I want a unit that would give me reasonably good equalization capability separate of all the Linux/windows annoying shenanigans, with an optical in.
HA-DSP fits the bill absolutely perfectly.
However, HA-DSP is reported to have a relatively high output impedance (around 9 ohms) which is somewhat sub-optimal, particularly for fancy multi-driver in-ear monitors.

Would using HA-DSP as pre-amp for something more "typical" (like say a shiit unit) work? Would that be a good idea? Are there any pitfalls I should keep in mind in terms of picking an amp that would work well with HA-DSP as preamp?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Using HA-DSP as pre-amp... bad idea or good idea? 5 days 20 hours ago #34584

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 734
@ atolol

Optical in, analog out? Is that for a headphone amplifier or actually for an amplifier?
If it's as a preamp, best to use the 2x4HD I think. A better fit than grabbing a headphone amplifier for preamp..

Please give us a bit more info so we can help?

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Using HA-DSP as pre-amp... bad idea or good idea? 5 days 11 hours ago #34600

• atolol
  • Fresh Boarder
Optical in, analog out.
For headphones

(specifically, multi-driver BA in-ear monitors, which is why I kind of suspect 9 ohms of output impedance to become a bit of a problem)

Basically, I'm planning to upgrade my headphone setup to fancy custom in-ears and decided that upgrading amp part would be wise.

I am also quite tired of little hiccups and glitches that Linux's pulseaudio plugin brings about, which is why I started googling for DACs/headphone AMPs with EQ and DSP functionality, and found the HA-DSP
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds