Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: MiniDSP 2x8 for the Orion speakers

MiniDSP 2x8 for the Orion speakers 5 years 7 months ago #13007

• Tarasque
  • Fresh Boarder
This is the test setup to replace the ASP as designed by Mr Linkwitz with the minidsp 2x8. Ive calculated the biquad parameters using the sheet provided in the support section.
This is just a test setup. I'm planning to use the 2x8 as bases of a pre amplifier ans use a microcontroller to control the internal functions as well as the display.
Minidsp, would it be possible to have this microcontroller interface with the 2x8 to present a volume readout on the display? I'm also looking to get an alarm if any part of the DSPprocess hits oDbfs.

Another question would be if its known that the 2x8 board crashes after longer periods of power on. I had this last week after 5 day's of use. Restarting the board resolved it but would need to know if my board is fully OK.

I'm stunned by the sound quality of this board and the dsp filters. Its the best ive heared ever. Even if compared with the CES!!!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Tarasque.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MiniDSP 2x8 for the Orion speakers 5 years 7 months ago #13107

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
@ Tarasque,

Great setup and thanks for sharing!
- Unfortunately we don't have a front panel for that interface but maybe in the future. :)
- Long periods on: We haven't heard of this before on our setup. Is your software always on? Is your PC maybe going on sleep mode? (i.e. plug-in not recovering well from a sleep?) More info would help
- Great hearing that you're happy with the audio quality! :-)

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

MiniDSP 2x8 for the Orion speakers 5 years 7 months ago #13128

• Tarasque
  • Fresh Boarder
@ Dev Team
I have following questions:

-- I'm looking to get a protocol description to access the 2x8 board with a micro controller in order to integrate the board into a pre-amp. and use my own display design and be able to use other means that the LED's to indicate source and config number.

-- One of the flters designed in the DSP has quite some amplification. How can i make sure that the signal is not hitting 0dBfs anywhere in the chain from analog input to output.

-- I want to use one of the configurations to also add RIAA correction to the signal. Would a portion of the amplification (say 20dB) best be done in the analog domain before entering the dsp or inside the 2x8 as part of the conversion. What is your take?

Thanks,
Tarasque

MiniDSP 2x8 for the Orion speakers 5 years 7 months ago #13188

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
@ Tarasque, see comments above.

- 2x8 MCU code. I'm afraid that we don't have that option. Would be impossible for our engineering team to start providing support to every single coder/programmer out there.. :-(

- Filter not hitting 0dBFS: Not much you could do here apart from insuring you have correct internal gain structure.

- Be careful with that kind of EQ (20dB). That's a lot. While you could stack some sort of EQ at multiple bands overlapping, you've got greater risk for the above. Best to amplify at input.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Re:MiniDSP 2x8 for the Orion speakers 5 years 7 months ago #13276

• martin.nore
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Since you are an Orion owner, you can check the Orion Resources area of the OPLUG forum - I posted my Orion biquads and ADC sheets there a while back (think the thread was called DSP Settings).
Moderators: devteam