Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mobile DJ rig using balanced Minidsp 2x4 in a box

Mobile DJ rig using balanced Minidsp 2x4 in a box 5 years 8 months ago #12536

• Funke1
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey guys, I just wanted to share with you my mobile rig incorporating a balanced Minidsp 2x4. What I have here is two Alto TS112a's, four Harbinger HX118's and a Cerwin Vega CV5000 amplifier. The amp rack is a 19" deep 6U case, and the panels and Nuetrik connectors I got from Parts Express. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I can go into further detail. :)
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Mobile DJ rig using balanced Minidsp 2x4 in a box 5 years 8 months ago #12538

• Funke1
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried to edit and organize the pictures into the post, but it wouldn't let me. Anyways, here's the whole stack-

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Funke1.

Mobile DJ rig using balanced Minidsp 2x4 in a box 5 years 8 months ago #12571

• Jim the Oldbie
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 75
That is a sweet little rig. I used to run sound for a couple of local bands, and always wished I had 4 18s instead of 2. Those Harbingers look like they can get the party started.* B)

-- Jim

*Sorry about that - I'm kind of old, heh.

Mobile DJ rig using balanced Minidsp 2x4 in a box 5 years 8 months ago #12597

• Funke1
  • Fresh Boarder
I love 'em. I've listened to quite a many subs and found these to be some of the best, especially for the price of $400 a pop at Guitar Center. That's where I got the Altos as well. I think they now sell for around $180 online since they introduced a bluetooth capable version.

But yeah, these subs are intense. They will scare you if you are not ready for them. At about half volume, things start rattling off the shelves and drawers open by themselves lol.

The Altos are crisp and clear and they go loud. Over the summer, I set one up in an open field with my Umik-1 and the spl response was within 1db from 20khz down to where the 12" driver started rolling off. These 12"s really like to play low. I originally crossed them over @80hz, but found that the horns created some harshness, so now I have a 48db LR crossover @ 74hz and that smoothed things out nicely. The subs low pass is the same, so it is an 8th order crossover with 7.5ms of delay on the subs for phase alignment. The subs high pass is a 48db Butterworth set at 38db. I found that crossing lower mudded up the bass these ported subs.

Overall, I don't think I could have done better for what I spent. It might not have been a bad idea to go with a lightweight amp like the Peavy, as the rack weighs 125lbs and is a little hard on the back. The CV-5000 is an old school style heavyweight muscle amp with a big transformer/caps and class H power. Some of the places I play at have sketchy power, so I figured it would perform well under less than ideal conditions, whereas a lightweight amp might suffer.

The only feature that I wish the Minidsp had is a hard limiter. Right now I have a line marked with a sharpie on my mixer's volume knob indicating where the amp and speakers start clipping under normal conditions, but it isn't much protection from a DJ that likes to push the VU meters into the red.

Mobile DJ rig using balanced Minidsp 2x4 in a box 5 years 8 months ago #12641

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
Very cool and thanks for sharing! It's a neat setup that you have here, clean and simple.
IF that's ok, we'll put your pics in the gallery?

Keep the bass pumping! :-)

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Mobile DJ rig using balanced Minidsp 2x4 in a box 5 years 7 months ago #12753

• Funke1
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks! You guys are great! You are more than welcome to use my pictures.

Mobile DJ rig using balanced Minidsp 2x4 in a box 4 years 7 months ago #18178

• DuRolf
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hello! Great rig. Could you discuss more the connections you made? Do you have RCA > Speakon from miniDSP to amp?

regards

Rolf
Moderators: devteam