Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Two-way bi-amplified stereo system with miniSHARC

Two-way bi-amplified stereo system with miniSHARC 5 years 8 months ago #12025

I've bitten the bullet and ordered the miniSHARC, VOL-FP, DIGI-FP and 2 curryman DACs. I live in the UK so I'll probably have to pay VAT and other fees when it all arrives in the country.

I'm going to take the SPDIF output from my current soundcard and use a Twisted Pear Audio 'Level Converter' to convert from the consumer voltage (about 0.5V) to 'prosumer' voltage (about 3.3V) then feed the signal into the miniSHARC. I'll use the miniSHARC for the crossover network, equilisation, and for time aligning the drivers. I'll also make use of its FIR filter capabilities to hopefully make the crossover linear phase. I'll house all the DSP hardware in a 1U rack mount case.

I've built two P3A power amps (the design is on the ESP site: sound.westhost.com/project3a.htm and they also sell the PCBs). It is a stereo amplifier (Class A/B I think) and delivers about 60-80W into 8ohms, it depends on the power supply really. Each amp will be mounted in the back of the speaker cabinet with a heatsink protruding out the back. I'm designing the enclosures from scratch and i'll post again once I've made more progress. Here are some pictures of what I've done so far:

P3A Power Amps. Look at the size of those heatsinks! "There's no such thing as a heatsink that's too big"

The speaker design I'm working on, although I'm considering changing it slightly.

The scan-speak discovery drivers I'm using for the project

Ollie

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Two-way bi-amplified stereo system with miniSHARC 5 years 8 months ago #12028

• dougl
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 43
Nice build.

I believe you do not need the Twisted Pear Audio 'Level Converter' if you use the SPDIF input from the Digi-FP.
The built in SPDIF input on the miniSHARC is 3.3V and needs the level converter.
This way you will have 2 SPDIF inputs..

Please follow up when you are finished.

HTH

Doug
The following user(s) said Thank You: OllieMarshall92

Two-way bi-amplified stereo system with miniSHARC 5 years 8 months ago #12052

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
Indeed very nice project. looking forward to see build pictures of your system.

I second Dougs remark: for DIGI-FP SPDIF input you won't need level converter, only the SPDIF input onboard the miniSHARC is TTL level.

kind regards, Daniel

Two-way bi-amplified stereo system with miniSHARC 5 years 8 months ago #12064

Hi,
Why didn't anyone mention this in the "MiniSHARC SPDIF input problem" thread...? I've already bought it now. Oh well :')

Ollie

Re:Re: Two-way bi-amplified stereo system with miniSHARC 5 years 8 months ago #12089

• orangeart
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Well that was because that thread was only about connecting directly to the minisharc from a .5v p-p source. There was never any mention of the digi-fp. The to converter is very neat and will be good to have in the parts box anyway....

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: OllieMarshall92

Two-way bi-amplified stereo system with miniSHARC 4 years 6 months ago #18794

• jaistanley
  • Junior Boarder
Hi!

Nice project, I really like the trans-laminated speakers. Have you considered including two holes in each of the side pieces - the intention being you could assemble the two sides by sliding them onto a threaded bar and compressing them with bolts and washers and align them at the same time?

Keep us posted!

Jai

Two-way bi-amplified stereo system with miniSHARC 4 years 5 months ago #18903

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
We fully agree with all the others, really nice setup indeed. :-)
Do keep us updated with your progress and questions you may have.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
Moderators: devteam