Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Re: Old subwoofer

Old subwoofer 9 years 2 months ago #960

• cyberdwarf
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello!

I'm a newbie to the dsp world but found my self with a nice challenge! I have an old (1996) sub-woofer design with an active filter to improve the performance. Because the enclosure is a bit small (65L) for a 12" woofer the filter was designed to compensate the low frequencies ranging from 20Hz (!) to 70Hz with a nice flat line. Also the driver impedance needed to be corrected resulting in a relative simple filter. After all these years en reading nice things from the MiniDSP. I would like to improve the exact curve by using a MiniDSP module to replace the old filter. First I need to measure the actual curve of the sub-woofer in its present housing without any filtering to determine a starting point, well here is my first problem. Can anyone suggest (reasonably priced) software for measuring the home environment? Than I need to make the "opposite" curve into the MiniDSP software so I can create a sub-woofer system ranging from 20Hz to 90Hz (FLAT!). What do I need for that, hardware, plug-in's etc. Can any one help me a little forward?
Thanks and kind regards,
Bob
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Old subwoofer 9 years 2 months ago #961

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
Hello Bob,

Your subwoofer application is certainly within the capabilities of miniDSP kits. Typically, at this frequency, a couple of EQ would do a lot at improving the frequency response of your speaker.

When it comes to software, there are plenty of free software. We'd maybe recommend to have a look at REW or Arta since that's the one we'd typically use. Smaart Live is also a good choice but more geared for professional.

Hope this helps
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: devteam