Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Re: Another Pre-Xover with 2x8 (DIGI) and Nano 2x8

Another Pre-Xover with 2x8 (DIGI) and Nano 2x8 6 years 7 months ago #8167

• foggyroad
  • Fresh Boarder
This is similar to curryman's in concept except that I'm taking the output from the miniDIGI (the 2x8 enables me to have a rotary volume control which I prefer) into the nano2x8 and then performing the x-over/eq there into two external dacs. As long as the 2x8 vol control is kept between 0dbfs and -10 I can't hear any sound quality difference between this configuration and going directly into the nano2x8. As you have so often pointed out, it's about getting the gain structure correct.

Mine goes like this:
  • Squeezebox Touch 0dbfs >> 2x8 (DIGI)
  • 2x8 (DIGI) between 0dbfs and -10 >> Nano2x8
  • Nano2x8 0dbfs >> Audiolab M-Dac (HF)
  • Nano2x8 0dbfs >> Benchmark DAC1 (LF)
  • Audiolab M-Dac (digital vol control) -11 to - 15dbfs >> Beard P100 (KT88s)
  • Benchmark DAC1 (analogue vol control) >> Jungson JA99C
  • The two amps drive Magneplanar 2.5Rs in custom oak frames

If my maths are correct this setup enables a minimum of 24bits throughout the entire system.

Thanks miniDSP for a cost effective, versatile and great sounding system. Sorry it's taken a while to getting around to posting this, but the system makes such good music I don't want to spend time at the computer!

Gordon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Another Pre-Xover with 2x8 (DIGI) and Nano 2x8 6 years 7 months ago #8170

• foggyroad
  • Fresh Boarder
Here's some pics - couldn't get them to upload on my first post using Firefox - seems OK with IE.

MiniDSP Pre-Xover

MiniDSP 2x8, DIGI, Nano 2x8, remote control board for motorised Alps pot

Analogue, digital, headphones through either DAC - good versatility using MiniDSP

Magneplanar 2.5r's, Jungson and Beard power amps

Powered by MiniDSP!

Gordon

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 6 years 7 months ago by foggyroad. Reason: Changed image

Re: Another Pre-Xover with 2x8 (DIGI) and Nano 2x8 6 years 7 months ago #8176

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
very nice setup, Gordon.

So if I understand you correctly you are using miniDSP 2x8 only for volume control and input selection? Maybe miniSHARC would be an easier solution, does not have SPDIF out though...

Re: Another Pre-Xover with 2x8 (DIGI) and Nano 2x8 6 years 7 months ago #8190

• foggyroad
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Curryman.

Yes, I pretty much use the 2x8 for input switching and volume control, although I have retained a set of analogue outputs.

I had looked at the MiniSHARC, but hadn't really understood how I might use it, but now that you point it out it could be an alternative. The ability to use FIR filters is very attractive. Is this how you have your pre-xover setup?

I'd have to look at how I can get spdif out as I do like using the current DACS I have. The fact that they have their own volume controls enables me to match them to power amp input sensitivities (the two I currently use are very different).

Gordon

Re: Another Pre-Xover with 2x8 (DIGI) and Nano 2x8 6 years 7 months ago #8192

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
I am currently using miniSHARC with the 2x2 plugin (openDRC) as FIR controller in front of miniDSP 2x8, which does speaker EQ and crossover (see here).

However I am just about to change to miniSHARC alone using the latest 2x8 plugin. That way I get rid of one sample rate conversion and the overall system will be simpler. I will use my own DAC boards with I2S inputs using the ES9023 DAC from ESStech.

Re: Another Pre-Xover with 2x8 (DIGI) and Nano 2x8 6 years 7 months ago #8201

• foggyroad
  • Fresh Boarder
OK, I think I understand - you are using MiniSHARC (with RePhase?), and although the crossover filters are done in the 2x8 you are still getting linear phase filters. Out of curiosity can you hear the difference between the two types of filters?

I couldn't agree more about keeping it simple - going down the minSHARC route looks intriguing. I'll be following your developments with interest - just when I thought I could safely get back to listening to music!:lol:

Gordon
Moderators: devteam