Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Re: Polk Monitor 70 Tri-Amp Project

Polk Monitor 70 Tri-Amp Project 6 years 10 months ago #7121

• Cybershaman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, all! Here we have my Polk Monitor 70 II speakers which I have removed the passive crossovers from and used the miniDSP 4x10 Hd in their stead! They sound amazing! I tell people in the Polk forums that they do tricks! ;)

Specs:

Tweeters - 2.4KHz High-Pass LR 24db/oct - power: S-5 K-501 10 watt/ch. Mono Block Tube Amp Kit (new version of this kit)
2 Upper Woofers - 2.4KHz Low-Pass LR 24db/oct - power: Carver TFM-15 100 watt/ch.
2 Lower Woofers - 700Hz Low Pass LR 24db/oct - power: Carver TFM-15 100 watt/ch.

This is close to what Polk had the passives set to. They had the high crossover point at 2.6KHz 12db/oct. It's also unusual in that the mids don't use a band-pass. They refer to it as a "2 1/2-way" design. Whatever. With the miniDSP I can experiment! In fact, right now I threw in a little 0.01ms delay on the tweeters to align them a little better. I also use Dayton Audio's OmniMic V2 testing software to dial in the tweeters because the tube amps I'm using to power them are a little low on the gain.

All in all, I'm very happy! And I can use the miniDSP unit for future speaker projects. (which you will be seeing here, for sure!) Take care all! :)

(Note: I just moved all of my components and have yet to hide all of the wires!)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Re: Polk Monitor 70 Tri-Amp Project 6 years 10 months ago #7164

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
A very nice setup you have here!

Thanks also for sharing your settings for your configuration to the Polk users out there!
I agree that it's always a pleasure to work with an active setup to make a system sound better... that's a DIY feel that is quite unique! :-)

Thanks again for sharing your project and have fun with your system!

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cybershaman

Re: Polk Monitor 70 Tri-Amp Project 6 years 10 months ago #7174

• Cybershaman
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Again, I am VERY happy with how things turned out!

In the settings department, I had to drop the two low-pass filters down by 3db because, again, the gain on the tube amps is pretty low. I hope this helps anyone who tries to replicate such a beast! ;)

In other news, I am sad because the motherboard in my laptop died after a shock it received when I tried to plug in the USB microphone. I should have it repaired soon. I need to because I think I may have set one of the crossovers incorrectly because the Dayton Audio software showed a dip right around the point where I cross the tweeters over to the upper woofers. I think I set the upper woofers to low-pass at 2.4KHz and the tweeters to high-pass at 2.6KHz by mistake. Rest assured, I will be back with the results once I install the new mainboard in my laptop!

For what it's worth, perhaps you can take a look at an issue I am having here.

Thanks again for offering such a fine product! :)
Moderators: devteam