Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Re: 3-way system for a Heavy Rocker

3-way system for a Heavy Rocker 6 years 11 months ago #6858

• opethic
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello.

I have run my miniDSP 2x8 for a couple of months now, and I must say I really love it - can't live without it.

I'm a Swedish Metalhead but I listen to everything that I find good:
Folk, Old school Quality-pop, Classic Rock, Progressive, Heavy Rock, Death Metal, Thrash Metal ...
I looked around for years to find a pair of speakers that both sound good and that can create the dynamic kick from the drums and bassguitars on my not-so-good produced records.
Yes records! I'm a vinyl lover, and CDs work fine too, I don't care much for downloading or streaming music...

As a member of the great Swedish hifi-forum www.hififorum.nu I got some help to create a really goodsounding setup when the "woofers" on my old ELAC FS 137 speakers was blown to dust after too much Death Metal.
The Jet III AMT-tweeters did not get destroyed and since I really love their sound I decided to keep them and use them in a DIY-project.
On other thing I love is Cerwin Vega, but only their basspeaker. I bought a pair of ATW-12 from 1990 on ebay and refoad them.
This could have worked out quite OK, I tried the CVs togheter with the AMTs using the ELAC crossover (2500Hz) and that sounded surprisengly good.
Anyway I got a pair of Fane Souverign 10-300, thoose really give you value for the money!
Togheter with the miniDSP, a Inter M R500 plus (for Fane midrange), a T-Amp S150 II (for CV bass), and an old H/K 430 (for the ELAC AMT-tweters)

Looks like this:

My music-room, not finished yet...

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 3-way system for a Heavy Rocker 6 years 11 months ago #6861

• opethic
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried to edit my first post, didn't work :(

Well, I'll give it oneother shot then.

In my opinion this system sound awesome!
And when I think of how small money I've spent on it and then compare to expensive "buy-in-store" equipment this is a killer :laugh:
It has a wide open, dynamic and "easy-to-love" sound that I enjoy, the bass is quite deep and "punchy" but not "too much".

The miniDSP is set with a 16Hz HP/Subsonic-filter to get rid of the vinyl-noise.
I cross the 12" CV at 120Hz, the 10" Fane at 65 & 3100Hz and the ELAC AMT at 2700Hz, 24db/oct.
Soon I'll borrow a XTZ Room-analyzer and messure the room and system.
I use two different configurations on the minDSP: "Hifi" and "Party" depending on my mood for the moment.

What needs to be done then?
Well, I have to finish the room...
I am working on a "Gainclone" chip-amp to use for the tweeters.
Other projects: a modification of a classic Thoréns turntable and a preamp-gainboost-circuit to place between my RIAA (DIY-kit "Bugdie" from diytube) and my B1-based passive DIY-Preamp.

Refoaming the CV-woofers, my first nervous try:

Re: 3-way system for a Heavy Rocker 6 years 11 months ago #6891

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
@ Opethic,

Thanks so much for sharing your system!

That picture with the background full of records is priceless! I wish we had the same at the office... :-) Great hearing that you're liking the 2x8 and it's part of your Heavy Rocker setup!

Keep sending pictures and thanks again for sharing,

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Re: 3-way system for a Heavy Rocker 5 years 9 months ago #11773

• Palmgren
  • Fresh Boarder
  • 1972 first DIY HiFi
The records background is a fake as anybody easily can see.
Moderators: devteam