Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Re:backloaded Horn

backloaded Horn 9 years 4 months ago #589

• ctm57555
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey,
I want to introduce my DIY Project based on MiniDsp:
Years ago, I made some experiments with two Fullrange Driver (FRD)with passiv EQ, but wasn`t happy, so they sank into oblivion.
Due to the fact, that I made very good expierence with MiniDsp, I made another try with those FRD. This time I wanted to develop a 2 way system, full active with audio crossover and EQ by MiniDsp. Due to the TSP`s of the FRD I decided to run it in a backloaded horn with a horn cut off of approx. 60 Hz. and a cut off frequenz to the tweetre of approx. 7 KHz. MiniDsp got a nice housing (CNC milled out of a massiv Alu block), combined with a passive pre-line stage.

The power amp I use is a JaWil- Audio 4 channel power amp from germany.

The next pictures will show the SPL response of the speaker chassis (near field) and the complete Speaker measured in 1 Meter at 2 V. Corssover is 7000 Hz, Bessel 24 dB, EQ is made by MiniDsp PEQ.

Click to zoom.

Getting a linear frequenz resonse is very easy by using MiniDSP. My prodecudre:
1. Step: Running MiniDSP with PEQ Window and an frequenz measuring programm ( in my case: ATB Pro) simultaneously. ATB is set to continuously measurement. Measurement signal comes from CD Player. By setting the PEQ you can see directly what happens with the measured freq. response of your speaker. First set the FRD to linear response, than set the tweeter.
Second step: set the crossover freq., the filter the gradient of filter and the output level of the tweeter. Watch the second window, where ATB (or what ever you use) runs. After approx 15 minutes you will get a perfect result. Repeat it again with an out of axis measurement, tune the system for the best result . When finished:
Listen and enjoy and of course make some additional tuning with MiniDsp for your individual audio tasting .
Resume: MiniDsp is a great tool for loudspeaker development and acoustical room tuning. If you have some technical basics and an acoustic measurement system, your project will be a sucess.

Last but not least: photo of the speaker

Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by ctm57555.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:backloaded Horn 9 years 4 months ago #590

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1050
A Beautiful Setup... That CNC machined enclosure is really impressive to say the least!
Must be a nice feel turning those front panel knobs... :-)

We like:
- The shear size of that enclosure and trouble you must have gone through to get that box put together
- The fact that you used miniDSP as a solution for a project you couldn't solve with a Passive EQ. Always neat.. :-)

In the end, we're glad to see you happy listening to your new rig!

Looking forward to seeing updates and comments from other community members,

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Re:backloaded Horn 9 years 4 months ago #592

• DFO
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Really beautifull enclosure. Really nice to see so many different projects :)

Re:backloaded Horn 9 years 4 months ago #593

Really nice enclosure there. How did you wire the external usb plug? Did you solder it wires onto the board?

Re:backloaded Horn 9 years 4 months ago #595

• ctm57555
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello admin and Kjeldsen,

pleased to hear, that you like the enclosure. Thank you.

Hello pk4life,

The connection from minidsp to the external USB port is very simple:
I took a ready to use USB flange (see: www.reichelt.de , Product.Nr. NEUTRIK NAUSB) that holds a double USB port:
USB A to USB B. To connect the Minidsp you need only to solder a adapter cable from mini USB to USB B. Thats all.

Besides: I forget to tell you what speaker chassis i used (blame on me).

full range driver: Audax HT 170 A2
tweeter: P-Audio PHT-407N

Sound impression of the horn speaker so far: natural mids, crisp hights, detailed an fast bass, but not very deep (f-3db approx 60 Hz). The complete system plays very fast and dynamik with a holographic sound stage .
Last Edit: 9 years 4 months ago by ctm57555.

Re:backloaded Horn 9 years 4 months ago #597

• DFO
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have tried to google your amp, but without any luck. Are they DIY modules og finished product, class A, AB, D? I DIY a link would be appreciated.

Re:backloaded Horn 9 years 4 months ago #598

• ctm57555
  • Fresh Boarder
hello kjeldsen

the link to jawil audio: www.jawil-audio.de

the amps are class ab and not a diy modul
Moderators: devteam