4way active 9 years 9 months ago #1473

• RainerL
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe your interested in a project using a
mds08 as a (sub)woofer
audax hm170 as a woofer
axton hs50 as a mid
mb mcd25 as a tweeter.
The first trials sounds great enough using the mds in a vented cabinet and the other 3 speakers in a "cabinet in a cabinet".
The minidsp-signal is send to three lm3886-amps. You read right, because the crossover of the tweeter is a passive one (because 50w of one lm3886 is enough for mid and high).
The frequencies given by these four drivers a wide enough to choose w wide range of different types of crossovers.
Maybe you'll get pictures if Santa Claus (or someone else) will bring me a new cam for christmas.
Rainer
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:4way active 9 years 9 months ago #1507

• hornz
  • Fresh Boarder
Wouldn't that be a 3 way active, not 4?

Re:4way active 9 years 9 months ago #1525

• RainerL
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, You're right. But my intention was to show a speaker-design which is ALSO (4!-)way active, if you want to. Keep in mind the wide frequency range of the named speaker. So YOU can built it 4-way - using it active for the tweeter. Maybe you start with somewhat above 2500Hz and change the crossover frequency as YOU like it. Believe me, that in a vented design for the woofer there is - beside personal preferences - in each stage enough range without making the frequency response going bad.
Good start points for individual tuning are:
woofer: 250Hz
Mid-Woofer: up to 1000 (hp)
mids: up to 2500Hz
tweeter for the rest.

Re:4way active 9 years 9 months ago #1526

• Theresa
  • Senior Boarder
Too many drivers. Its best to use just enough drivers crossovers as will do the job. I'm not saying "full-range" drivers. Crossovers, including active ones, cause phase shifts. I wonder how yours would sound with a solo piano?

Re:4way active 9 years 9 months ago #1533

• RainerL
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Theresa,
thanks for your hint. You're quite right in your argumentation, that I could delete one driver (at least?). But please keep also in mind, that despite of the named problems by using a 4-way-design, there are (at least in the European market) lots of - for my ears - well-sounding 4way systems (e.g. Focal's Onyx, which I own for so many years). The sound of a solo piano can be reproduced well (Onyx) and I'll think (because I can compare it with this system) there is no difference - audible for me. Maybe I'll put in some measures (yes, measures is not all!!) later. Please keep in mind, that I can use the drivers in their optimum frequency range!
Last Edit: 9 years 9 months ago by RainerL.

Re:4way active 9 years 9 months ago #1534

• Theresa
  • Senior Boarder
Ok. I just go for the simple, a sub, a midwoofer, and a tweeter, all actively crossed over. I would rather buy the best drivers (my taste is ScanSpeak) then have more. I used to have some focals. They sounded quite nice. I have read that their motors, at least those they sold to DIYers, had poor motors and thats what gave them their "shine." I don't have them anymore, they got damaged in a move.

Re:4way active 9 years 9 months ago #1535

• RainerL
  • Fresh Boarder
Scan Speak - OK!! Let's come together, that the speakers I described are much cheaper - the box is a present for a young man (so he wants it loud for modern kind of music). You're right in your talk abaout the Focals, but that was AFTER the Onyx-time. Following their way up to now, their latest products are well again. So let's face it together: my project here is maybe "cost-effective" ;-)

Re:4way active 9 years 6 months ago #2132

• RainerL
  • Fresh Boarder
Let me please inform you, that the project has changed to a REAL 4way active system; I've just added another amp for the tweeter. By using the 4way advanced plugin you have great variations in the sound, because each speaker can work in its "best" frequency range.
I've just started another project with an hivi (swans) speaker instead the audax (because they are very hard to find - remember they're not built anymore). To put it short together: the hivis are a little bit more "analytic".

Re:4way active 9 years 6 months ago #2133

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1140
Great hearing that you're still tuning/improving your project! A true DIY audio never ending project! :-)

Looking forward to seeing more pictures!
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re:4way active 9 years 6 months ago #2142

• RainerL
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks a lot for your greetings.
To put it short together again: these are 2 different projects (for two different people). But I have to point out once again the great possibilities of the minidsps with different speakers. The range of the possible crossovers and their influence on the sound is so hight that nearly everyone (?) can get his dream speakers. THIS is maybe the most interesting part of my subject :-)

Re: 4way active 8 years 9 months ago #4028

• joe3rp
  • Fresh Boarder
what spec of mini dsp did you get?
I need a 4-way w/ crossover, EQ, time delay fed to existing tube amps/horn driver,woofer,sub
thanks

Re: 4way active 8 years 9 months ago #4039

• RainerL
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello Joe,
I've just taken the mini dspkits with the 4Way crossover plug-in! I think it would do the job you need it for!
Moderators: devteam