Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 9 months 2 weeks ago #48089

• aaninen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
I have had a nasty little lack of motivation on this project, but it is building up. Here is some tasty pictures for You.

The assembling isn't a really a piece of cake though the tolerances between the carpenter and I has worked out fine. Both of the bass enclosures are ready, and the passive crossovers for the uppers will be soldered quite soon. I already have heard and measured these loudspeakers all up and ready, so I know what this will all be about.

J.H. 3.5.2020
Jussi Hoffrén @ aaninen.fi
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 9 months 1 week ago #48415

• aaninen
  • Junior Boarder
So it took three months and three weeks for me to assemble these. Still there are some little things, but now I have sound out of them.

I found few bugs on the instructions. I managed to solve them though. The little sub on the floor is also powered by miniDSP PWR-ICE125, but it is not connected right now. I used it with the stand speakers of these Imperial 2.0's. I am driving the floor speakers now as analog with miniDSP SHD, but I should find my digital cables to connect them correctly as digital so there won't be the extra DA-AD conversion.

Vinyl sounds great with SHD also. I have some Tinsley Ellis on the plate.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 9 months 1 week ago #48499

• aaninen
  • Junior Boarder
I have an impedance converter from 75 ohms to 110 ohms and all the cabling officially correct now between miniDSP SHD and the two PWR-ICE125 modules. Though according to my experience it works just as well with RCA -> XLR cable and XLR -> XLR cable as link between the plate amps.

So the sound goes digitally to Imperial 2.0 speakers and I have tried some room correction also. In my opinion room correction makes the sound a bit unnatural and according to my measurements and listening, there isn't really any need for it.

Measurement above has been taken with a beta version of Room EQ Wizard and I'm beginning to like this RT60 Decay tool. On this measurement both channels have been measured separately as 2 ch with UMIK-1 and ESI U24XL soundcard with ASIO4ALL drivers and loop cable. I guess this information isn't so relevant, but this is the way I usually measure to get the timing right.

Before the measurements were summed I applied a tap on the IR Windows to add frequency dependent window to the measurements. This way seems to align the impulses correctly on timeline and they sum up right.

The room can be seen on the pictures before so there hasn't been done much for the acoustics.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 9 months 6 days ago #48506

• aaninen
  • Junior Boarder
aaninen wrote:
In my opinion room correction makes the sound a bit unnatural and according to my measurements and listening, there isn't really any need for it.

Now I really need to take my words back about this. I usually have done the Dirac Live correction according to only one measurement point. Yesterday I had time to take measurements on 1 + 6 different points. Now I have to admit that Dirac Live knows what to do. Here are the results.

And here is the situation without room correction.

I have listened to the set with Dirac Live now and I like it better than without it. It just requires more measured points than I have used before. I also adjusted the level of corrected frequencies a bit higher. The correction has been done on 13 - 125 Hz where it seemed to be needed.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 8 months 3 weeks ago #48790

• aaninen
  • Junior Boarder
Still some job to do. I need to pull up the three more presets on the plate amp. Number three with digital inputs is ready and the others serve other kinds of setups. Imperial 2.0 can be driven with a integrated amp with preouts and that is how it plays tonight with Densen B 130+. I will give you more information about the connectivity when I have the presets ready.

Next week I will drive these speakers for home test. Jussi Arvio from Hifimaailma is waiting to get to know them.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 6 months 3 weeks ago #50053

• aaninen
  • Junior Boarder
Imperial 2.0 speakers are being tested by Finnish media, Hifimaailma and I'm kind of missing them. Today I got one of them appearing in my living room like a ghost. Sadly I couldn't get any paint on it...

Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by aaninen.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 2 months 4 days ago #52591

• aaninen
  • Junior Boarder
A review of these speakers set up with miniDSP SHD can be read on finnish Hifimaailma number 7 / 2020 by Jussi Arvio.

Here are measurements on my current set up in our living room. Sorry for the Finnish topics.

The .mdat can be downloaded for Room EQ Wizard here,

aaninen.dy.fi/~hoffa/Imperial%202.0/REW/Heinavaarassa/

There are now also more universal 3D models available as STL-format here,

www.aaninen.fi/media/3D-models-of-DIY-instructions/
Last Edit: 2 months 4 days ago by aaninen. Reason: Needed to add more.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam