Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 1 year 1 month ago #37708

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
For the start, let me introduce my self a little bit. I have been working as a miniDSP dealer in Finland for some a while now and among that a few of my own loudspeakers has went trough the designing table. Subwoofers and some completely passive projects also. Now the idea is to bring the world a new type of product lancing with the benefits of miniDSP and loudspeaker engineering.

Imperial 2.0 is the second version of a stand speaker with a cardioidic radiation pattern and it can be filled with substand powered by miniDSP PWR-ICE125 plate amp. With this combination it is an active floor-standing speaker and probably most people know the benefits of the DSP on these modules.

What's new about this is, that Imperial will be published as DIY instructions delivered trough Internet. Among that, also ready made products will be available. Parts for these speakers can be easily achieved every where, but the cabinets need some good wood working to be done. To ease this, very good drawings will be provided for them.

I will be posting new information here as soon as I get some progress on this. The Imperial 2.0 loudspeakers are now as prototypes.
Jussi Hoffrén @ aaninen.fi
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 1 year 1 month ago #37802

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1037
Very nice line up! Exciting to hear that it will be a published design!

We very much look forward to hearing more!
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 1 year 1 month ago #38001

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
This kind of loudspeaker is not so easy to design with only theoretic information so I modeled it first with nanoAVR HD and an AV-receiver. It required 6 different channels to get it working as active pair. I measured the active combination to get the target curves for each driver. LspCAD 6.0 was the next step to be used when I designed the passive crossovers for the cardioidic standspeaker. Substand has its crossover done by PWR-ICE125.

Here are frequency responses measured in different angles. Measuring distance is 130 cm and there is some background noise and floor reflection from the ground among. 1/2 octave smoothing. UMIK-1 as microphone and REW as software.

The substand isn't actually pure bipolar, the rear radiation is a bit stronger cause of the enclosure. With this type of solution it is possible to get better efficiency on the lowest frequencies. There is no boosting on the bass with DSP. All drivers and crossover components used are Dayton Audio products and can be achieved easily world wide.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 10 months 2 weeks ago #38966

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
About the schedule on this project.

We are finding sellers for Imperial 2.0 in Finland and some interest has been shown. When we get some more partners, my idea is to offer these loudspeakers with personal delivery and adjustment too the customers room possibly with SHD series product driving them. So I am very interested to get the SHD for testing.

It seems like publishing the instructions goes for next year. Though it requires mostly writing and other doll work. I'm afraid the instructions will cost a little. There is already one loudspeaker DIY instructions available from www.aaninen.fi and in the same way the instructions for Imperial 2.0 can be bought by Pay Pal in the future. They will be delivered by email.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 10 months 2 weeks ago #39042

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
I have written some of the instructions and they can be checked here. This is a marketing version and important information has been removed.

I need to go trough the mechanical drawings of the enclosures. They are included on the instructions. Also the 3D models for PTC CAD could be shared to help the builder understand how the loudspeakers should be build. The CAD is free, but it requires a registration.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 10 months 1 week ago #39102

• devteam
  • Administrator
Very cool progress! It's exciting to see this complete kit put together!

Great job!

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 10 months 1 week ago #39129

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
Woke up early today and I got some energy to do final checks on the 3D model.

The CAD used is a free version from PTC. It can be found here. I have been using the older version for years, but recently I have given a go for the latest one. I will share only the 3D model of Imperial 2.0, but the 2D mechanical drawings will be among the commercial instructions.

This .zip includes the mdat-files for REW and the 3D model for the CAD. Measurements were made outside but the "floor reflection" from ground is presence. There are no EQ corrections. Only crossovers.

The enclosures are quite complex but decent carpenter should be able to build them. There is also a steel plate on the bottom of the speaker which is not essential.

Recently I have tried Dirac Live correction with DDRC-24 as pre-amplifier for the loudspeakers. There is one extra AD and DA conversion though, but it sounds great. I have used the correction only for 700 hertz and lower. I am really waiting for the SHD series, cause they will be perfect match with these loudspeakers.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 10 months 23 hours ago #39213

• devteam
  • Administrator
Wow.. Free CAD model! Very generous to the community. Thanks for all your effort!

DevTeam

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 9 months 1 week ago #39533

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
I just checked the prices for all the parts to these loudspeakers on PartsExpress USA. They cost about 1850 USD including the miniDSP plate amps and all drivers and crossover parts also.

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 1 month 4 days ago #43286

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
It took a while from me, but now the instructions can be bought from aaninen shop. Price for the instructions is 295 €. I hope they will be useful for people who like building loudspeakers.

I suggest you take a look at the free data package and in case some questions pop up, ask me :)

J.H. 12.8.2019
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juoigâ

Imperial 2.0 by aaninen.fi 4 weeks 1 day ago #43335

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
Here is some specifications.

Stand speaker:

2.5 way design
Cardioidic radiation pattern
6.5 inch bass-midrange in front and two in the back
Air Motion Transformer Tweeter
Nominal impedance 6 ohms
Frequency range 65 - 20 000 Hz
Sensitivity 87 dB/W/m
400 mm (width) x 270 mm (depth) x 340 mm (heigth)
All parts are Dayton Audio products

Substand:

Bipolar radiation pattern
Two 10 inch Dayton Audio drivers
Frequency range 25 - 65 Hz (Bessel low pass at 45 Hz)
Amplifier power 2 x 140 Watts
Inputs with RCA or XLR (also digital input with AES/EBU or SPDIF) Check miniDSP PWR-ICE125!
Output to stand speaker with binding posts for fully active floor speaker
Control trough RJ45 Ethernet cable (PC/MAC and Linux with Wine)
400 mm (width) x 270 mm (depth) x 730 mm (heigth without spikes)

The idea of the stand speaker is that the frequencies below baffle step are attenuated by the rear drivers. Higher frequencies are quite directive because of the front plate of baffle. Longer amplitudes that go around the baffle are "eliminated" with active rear drivers. This combination was designed with fully active crossovers first. I used nanoAVR HD for that. After I got the speaker working with them I measured all drivers and set those as target curves for passive crossovers. LspCAD 6 was a handy tool for modeling the final crossovers.

Substand isn't really an actual open baffle. The rear radiation is limited a little to create some air spring for the drivers. Radiation is different behind the stand than towards the listener and better sensitivity is gained by this. I call this design as "acoustic limiter".
Moderators: devteam