Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28537

• syddk
  • syddk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

I am just before ordering the parts. I would like to have some last minute comments/suggestions.

Here is the plan. I use Bluesound Node as streamer. The new Node 2 has a optical digital input that can be used for my TV.

In stage 1. (first picture) i just use the 2x4 HD for x-over. I would like to keep all options open and reserve as much computing power as possible for x-over. I would like to try FIR filtering.

In stage 2. (second picture) I put in the DDRC-22D for Roomcorrection and secondary also as a digital preamp. I have experience with Lyngdorf TDAI2200 and RoomPerfect. I have no idea how the DDRC-22D with DIRAC compares!?

I have chosen Hypex amps. I first considered and bought IcePower modules. But after reading a lot of posts, I fear to run into problems with impedance matching between 2x4HD and Icepower. I have chosen to play safe and switch to Hypex UcD's. Comments welcome.

The speaker itself is a 2,5 way setup with Scanspeak 2905/9900 tweeter and 2 x Scanspeak 18W8545's. Lower bas unit to be cut of at appr. 450 Hz.
The enclosure is a empty Magico V2 that I came across from a wholesale. The cabinet building factory went bankrupt...

All comments - ideas - suggestions - hints about pitfalls are very welcome!!

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28597

• syddk
Anyone? :unsure:

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28600

• pos
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 200
You seem to have everything in check :)

That Magico enclosure looks sturdy, to say the least!
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, syddk

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28604

• planetti
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi syddk,

you made already some thoughts, very nice.

May be there are some aspects from my limited experience:
- When providing the ideal linear FIR-x-over, you get a considerably high delay, depending on the number of tabs used. The same applies to the phase correction functionality of the additional DDRC. The all over delay might not fit to the TV pictures anymore...
- I personally had some issues with the TOSlink splitter (but others like pos had not). The passive splitter signal was too weak, so the sound quality was reduced for the ASRC of the miniDSP boxes. Then I made a comparison between some active TOSlink splitters, whereby the Marmitek 1to4 was the best (and the most expensive), but all of them produced dropouts regularly because they had difficulties in synchronising to the (not perfect) digital signal from my music box on 96kHz, so I ended up with a Behringer ultramatch pro (providing upsampling and splitting and an additional analogue input) in between.
- only a minor comfort aspect: Although the remote control receiver functionality in the miniDSP boxes are excellent, they may differ slightly in optical sensitivity, so one component of my two sometimes misses an control order. That could more relevant when having your 2x4HDs with your speakers far spreaded.

So, at the end you can achieve a very nice setup. Please post your experiences, particularly with the FIR-X-over evaluation and 2x4HD sound quality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28606

• syddk
Thanks Planetti!

Some really good hints!! I totally forgot about the sync issues with the TV. I am not into surround, so if I cant adjust the sync on the TV, I may go for a soundbar for TV sound... Stereo is my priority 1 :-)
The Toslink splitter has to be high quality - I hope I can find a solution that is good enough. I am trying to avoid unnessary bits in the signal path. I will have a look at the Behringer though!
Remotewise: I wasnt aware that the 2x4 HD had a remote receiver. I don't plan to use it anyway. But for sure remote control of the DDRC is planned.
Thanks again for your hints. Its seems I can proceed to checkout with the electronics !! Exciting !!

Will post experience and pictures later this year!

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28617

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1290
Neat setup indeed. We look forward to seeing pics of your setup and that magico magic box.. ;-)
On the splitter, thanks for the feedback @ Planetti. We haven't experienced similar but should definitely investigate when we get a chance. Do you mind to share the versions your tried? Maybe we look here if we can source a reliable splitter from ASIA..

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28624

• planetti
@syddk
The behringer ultramatch pro has only 1 RCA, 1Toslink and 1 AES/XLR synchronised digital output, so I am sorry, you will need 2 Toslink outputs for your 2 boxes.

@devteam
there was already a discussion on that point at www.minidsp.com/forum/opendrc-projects/1...the-opendrc?start=60.
Signal source: audio cocktail X10, output Toslink on 44, 1, 48 and 96kHz.
Signal receiver: 2 Opendrc on 48kHz, DI and DA.
Splitter: schwaiger passive 1 in 2, and several active ones, which are not based on the identical processor, they all were not able to synchronise to the 96kHz signal without glitches (3-6 little dropouts every 2 minutes).
Which further infos do you need? The name of the splitters please pm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: syddk

Last edit: by planetti.

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28626

• syddk
Thanks Planetti,

I am a bit worried... According to info I got from MiniDSP i could use a toslink splitter. But according to your experience this is not entirely possible due to signal weakening in the splitter.

I am not particularly fond about putting more active units into my signal path. This more or less destroys my idea.

What should I do??

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28628

• pos
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 200
You can get simple optic splitters for less than 5 bucks on ebay, why not try them and judge how it fares in your system?

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28629

• syddk
Thanks Pos,

Well, that is one way to go.

But I would like to be sure that it will work. I haven't bought the 2 times 2x4 HD, The DDRC, The 2 times 3 way hypex amps. In all an investment in the range of 2000€. I would prefer not to let all of this down to the fact if a 5$ piece of plastic "junk" works or not. I am sure you understand :-).

I am considering a Inday TLDA-1 active splitter. Anyone able to share experience with this or similar?

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28630

• syddk

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28644

• planetti
Yes. Somehow.

As pos supposed:
try the passive splitter first (the reviews are better for the silver round www.amazon.de/Schwaiger-Toslink-Verteile...wellen/dp/B00LXU7Y4G than for the black flat one)

For the active splitter (20-60€):
noname<speaka prof=marmitek TS12=goobay 1in4out<marmitek TS14 .
At least 192kHz! Send back if the socket is waggly or too tight, or you hear any dropouts (even every 2 minutes).
If you go for the 4 outputs you can choose or expand ...
Much luck!

2x4 HD for 3 way active system 4 years 10 months ago #28648

• syddk
Hmm.... All of these passive splitters, look like something from ToysRus... Cheap looking plastic stuff. Not something I would like to rely on, in an otherwise High end'ish setup.

Maybe the active ones are not better, but from the data and origin (more or less known companys that even have a website explaining about their product and data), I am feeling a bit more safe. Am I kidding myself here?

I will try to figure out a way of testing the splitter before ordering all the other stuff.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam