• Page:

TOPIC: Re: MiniDSP sound quality test

Re:MiniDSP sound quality test 8 years 11 months ago #1302

• Proger
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

Thank for reply,

1) I made a search on E-mu tracker, and I find that I have the result for 16bit
And when I put my sound card in 16 on 24bit, I have same result :( So, problem... (but I have 110Db with 192KHz and 96KHz :huh: )
I maybe have a problem with drivers, because Emu tracker doesn't have drivers for Win 7.
Sorry for the bad test.

2) The minidsps have a separated PSU, a little 5v 1A transformer for usb hub. And I have less pink noise in the amp box that out of the box. They aren't burried like my amp are more 90% efficienty.
Like I say, with -10Db on the input, I have no more pink noise (hearable) I'm just surprised that anyelse have this problem.

Thank, and sorry for my bad english,
Sincerely,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:MiniDSP sound quality test 8 years 10 months ago #1512

• paulspencer
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Update - new thread with more rigorously conducted listening tests over two days:

www.minidsp.com/support/forum/6-diy-hifi...sover-listening-test

Blog write up:
redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2010/12/acti...listening-tests.html

In a nutshell, MiniDSP held up well under scrutiny.

Re:MiniDSP sound quality test 7 years 6 months ago #5228

• Nigel
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All,
I'm new to miniDSP, and have a question/problem.
After succesfully setting up crossover points etc and some bass boost, I installed the miniDSP 2x4 into the system, no output! Hmm, some investigation led to a broken wire from the ext powerpack psu into the mini. Not having gear to fix it, I quickly hooked up laptop agan to provide power through USB.
Ysy ! it works ! but ooh, the sound quality especialy the bass, was poor, signif distortion. Not playing loud, so not amp clip. I knocked off the boost and that was a lot better but still not great.
I suspect that the mini needs the psu from the wall. Is this likely ?
Also, the powerpack only yield 6v dc ? What is the recommendation ? Would 9v be better ? or would it just generate more heat....

thanks for your time.

Re:MiniDSP sound quality test 7 years 6 months ago #5231

• Nigel
  • Fresh Boarder
Solved. JohnR called and asked me the topology of my components and suggested the input voltage was too high so I put a vol control on it and sure enough the distortion has gone. Mind you Ialso fixed the powerpack wiring, but it was the input strength.

Re:MiniDSP sound quality test 7 years 6 months ago #5233

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1498
Good to hear :)

BTW the powerpack is not supplied by miniDSP, I think it used to be a Nokia phone charger. So you can blame me for the wiring of it :)
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

Re:MiniDSP sound quality test 7 years 6 months ago #5252

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1050
Glad to hear that you're up and running Nigel.. :-)

Thanks @ John for helping you out for your setup!

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Re:MiniDSP sound quality test 7 years 6 months ago #5256

• Nigel
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks John,
Now onto meausring and playing.
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Nigel.

Re: MiniDSP sound quality test 6 years 8 months ago #7904

• zajac
  • Fresh Boarder
I just got the Minidsp 2x4 + Umik1 yesterday and spent the whole day playing with it and calibrating my speakers (Audioengine 5+) with REW. My number 1 concern was with the power supply for the Minidsp as I had read comments on diyaudio saying that it is finicky with its power supply otherwise you get distortion. Not so, I found. First thing I did was measure frequency response of the speakers without the Minidsp, and then again with the Minidsp in the chain. No difference at all. Both graphs identical. I also tried using my laptop's USB port to power the Minidsp as well as the USB charger port on the Audioengines, and measured no difference at all with or without the Minidsp in the chain. The USB power on the Audioengines is marked 5V, 500mA, 2.5W. Also I am using RevB Minidsp.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by zajac.

Re: MiniDSP sound quality test 6 years 8 months ago #7905

• zajac
  • Fresh Boarder
Also I had a good listen with Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones for any hissing or "noise floor" and there was none at all. Also I am feeding it line level signal without any other pre-amps in the chain. Maybe that is affecting it for some of you guys?

Re: MiniDSP sound quality test 5 years 1 month ago #15675

• rskriver
  • Fresh Boarder
zajac wrote:
Also I had a good listen with Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones for any hissing or "noise floor" and there was none at all. Also I am feeding it line level signal without any other pre-amps in the chain. Maybe that is affecting it for some of you guys?

You saved my day. Much distortion. Sounded horrible.

Tested 2 amplifiers with the same result. Problem was that I had pre-amplifier AFTER the miniDSP: Laptop -> DAC -> miniDSP 2x4 -> Integrated Amplifier.

Changing the cables and used the AMP IN on my integrated, so that I bypass the pre-amp part, the sound is wonderful. Unfortunately not the solution I was hoping for, but even with the miniDSP's powered by USB, the sound is great.

Re: MiniDSP sound quality test 5 years 4 weeks ago #15749

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1050
Most likely overdriving the input of the miniDSP. You can make sure that it's not the case simply looking at the level of your input RMS meters. If they are close to red, that's the issue. A simple jumper change at the input stage (see user manual) will set you up.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

MiniDSP sound quality test 4 years 6 months ago #18578

• gander
  • Fresh Boarder
Sorry, but this sounds like a completely invalid test. You can't just stick an active crossover in the system somewhere and hear a valid difference. The whole point of an active crossover system is to get the speaker passive crossovers completely out of the circuit, and have the amps hooked directly to the drivers. There are so many reasons that the speaker passive crossovers in conjunction with the speaker voice coils mess up the signal, and so many good reasons to use an active crossover I won't try to list them here. Web search it. Sticking an active crossover into the system just won't do the same thing.

For a fair test, you have to physically have two duplicate systems - passive crossovers vs active - with two versions of identical speakers side by side - one with passive crossovers in the speakers and one with no passive crossovers but with extra binding posts for each driver. There needs to be a single stereo amp and no active crossover in the system (a "regular" system), and the other with active crossover, multiple amps and no passive crossovers in the speakers. Then perhaps an RCA switch sending the preamp output from one system to the next for the A / B test. Complicated, and expensive, but much more valid at that point.

preamp --> RCA switch --> (passive system) --> stereo amp --> [Identical Speakers: passive xover ==> each driver ]
preamp --> RCA switch --> (active system) --> Active Crossover ==> 2 stereo amp ==> [Identical Speakers: direct connection from amp to each driver ]

Has anybody ever actually done this? I haven't.

Gary

paulspencer wrote:
At a recent audio event I heard a MiniDSP system. We decided to do a quick test of sound quality to see what it was doing. So we set it up in a simple passive system, with some Proac clones and some nice valve amps. A simple flick of the switch put it in or out of the signal chain, and this was done while music was playing to make any change obvious. Obviously all xo and PEQ settings were off. There was a very slight gain difference, but even with that we could not hear any difference. All four of us there were unanimous. It did nothing wrong.

We used a good recording and all the parts of the system were transparent enough to allow a fair comparison. That pretty much settled the matter for me. People find it hard to believe that something this cheap could make no difference ie do no harm.

Some seem to prefer to listen for hours to one thing and form an opinion. That way you can believe whatever you want! A test like this really brings out the truth.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by gander. Reason: formatting problems

Re: MiniDSP sound quality test 4 years 6 months ago #18580

• DS21
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
gander wrote:
Sorry, but this sounds like a completely invalid test. You can't just stick an active crossover in the system somewhere and hear a valid difference.

They weren't testing filters. They were testing the quality of the device itself. Its AD and DA converters, DSP noise, etc.

Many devices would fail such a test.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by DS21.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam