Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Car Audio on Desktop

Car Audio on Desktop 4 years 9 months ago #22329

• PaulZ
  • Fresh Boarder
This may have been discussed before, but your best bang for buck is car audio equipment when building an audio system. I’m new to using active crossovers so you can imagine how satisfied I was when I compared the sound with the bypass, and could now never go back to one amp.

I’m using an old 10 inch sub and amp from my car, and while I wait for my studio monitors to return home, a set of Jamo rear home theatre speakers. Both my amps are car audio amps which cost nothing compared to home stereo units.

What makes this possible is recycling an old power supply from a computer. Everyone should have an old tower sitting somewhere, or are cheap to buy. By following some online tutorials you can use these as a 12 volt power supply and run your car audio amps.

Of course you need a preamp or controller, but as all my audio comes from computers these days, that is sorted. The good problem is that you have to turn the gain down on the amps as they have lots of power for a close up or an indoor setup.

Someone raised a concern that most car audio is 4 ohm and home setups around 8 ohm, but if you do the research the ohm rating of the amp is the least amount of resistance it can drive without issues, and any more ohms and you just lose power; not that it is likely to be an issue with a 200 watt stereo amp.

All my future home stereo set ups will use car amps as for the price you can buy a few, use a MiniDSP as an active crossover, and all for less than the price of one home stereo amp.

Hope this helps with some ideas.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by PaulZ.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: devteam