Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "X-Arrays"

"X-Arrays" 4 years 3 months ago #20298

• John Ashman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
These are a mini point source/line array hybrid that I designed for portable use for events. It has dual 8" aluminum CAMM midbass drivers, dual aluminum CAMM 4" midranges, dual 2" titanium CAMM cone tweeters in an active 3.5 way design. They get down to 50Hz flat with no EQ, just using the 2nd 8" to extend the response and counter the natural rolloff in a smallish sealed cabinet. They still need tweaking and I will probably more to a 4.5-way design with added .75" dome tweeters for the over 6kHz range to extend the resonse and dispersion,, but it sounds terrific out of the box and plays extremely loud without distortion using a TruAudio 440 amp on each speaker. I will also shrink the cabinets a little from the prototypes and create a mesh metal grill for them.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by John Ashman.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

"X-Arrays" 4 years 3 months ago #20371

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
Looking neat John. Which DSP are you using to power that little puppy?
A nice little PWR-ICE250 plate amplifier at the back and it could be a neat setup. :-)

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

"X-Arrays" 4 years 3 months ago #20387

• John Ashman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
It's using two MiniDSPs in a box with the 4-way crossover (3.5-way in this case) connected to two TruAudio 440 amps.

When I'm feeling a bit richer, I'll switch to the more potent 4x10HD and the Clare 1640 amp. Then I can add DiracLive to the mix with the digital in/out loop.

It would be nice to have the plate amps, but I need a 3-way or 4-way for most of my projects. My "Sting Arrays" will be a two-way with 4 tweeters and dual 6.5" woofers in a compact enclosure for small events or public speaking.

These will probably morpth into a true 5-way with subs and "supertweeters".
Last Edit: 4 years 3 months ago by John Ashman.
Moderators: devteam