Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: OB Adhoc Speakers: Speakers built from books.

OB Adhoc Speakers: Speakers built from books. 4 years 5 months ago #19281

• mccuskerkt
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I am a senior studio art major Cornell College, a tiny liberal arts school in Mount Vernon, Iowa. I recently completed my senior thesis and art exhibition. Part of my project involved building speakers out of improvised materials. This set is built following MLK's open baffle design, however instead of MDF or wood, I used duplicate copies of a book entitled Uncommon Structures, Unconventional Builders. a 2x4 MiniDSP was used as an active crossover. 2nd order butterworth at 250 low pass and 500 high pass. Goldwood GW 215/4 15" Woofer and Faitalpro 4FE35 4" full range driver. These speakers are a lot of fun. I won't give you a bunch of arbitrary terms describing the sound, but they do make sound. Despite breaking some rules (i.e. "use rigid baffle material" )They play low sounds, they play high sounds (although the 4" full range can't quite reach too high into the treble range) and they make all of the sounds in between. I even measured them using a UMIK1 microphone and REW. They were a lot of fun to build, they are fun to listen to, and they are even more fun to show off. I learned so much building these, and the art faculty sure liked them (and the rest of the project) because I earned departmental honors! Thanks so very much to MiniDSP for your support.

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DWP, sly
Moderators: devteam