Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: miniDSP at Frickelfest 2014

miniDSP at Frickelfest 2014 5 years 3 months ago #14709

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
Hi all,

I just came back from the Frickelfest 2014, a 5 day meeting of DIY audio enthusiasts. Arround 70 maniacs brought a lot of selfmade hifi equipment to an old monastery and more than 20 setups where running in many rooms. It was really fun to be part of it :woohoo:

While many setups were based on purely analog, mostly tube driven components quite some DSP controlled setups could be found. Most of them where using DSPs from miniDSP (2x4, 4x10HD, miniSHARC or PWR-ICE) ;)

Please find below some first impressions. More to come within the next few days...

Linkwitz inspired 4-way by Joachim Gerhard and Curryman with miniSHARC:

miniSHARC setup with Curryman DACs

3 way horn system with 18" woofer, 6" mid horn and 1" tweeter, controlled by miniDSP 4x10HD plus Dirac live:

Selfmade plasma tweeter with 6,5" midwoofer in open baffle (crossover and EQ: miniDSP 2x4):

We brought some open baffle speakers with Gradient Axis AX-08 (slightly tuned by Joachim Gerhard) plus the good old Emminence Alpha 15a powered by the PWR-ICE125 modules. I'll post some pictures later...

kind regards, Daniel

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

miniDSP at Frickelfest 2014 5 years 3 months ago #14727

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1052
This is so neat... makes us want to fly to Germany to see all these neat setup! I love the DIY element, some of these speakers are really not into showing off something pretty. Gotta sound good and that's all we care.. ehhehe :-)

Thanks so much for these pics and for your support in showcasing your setups! I'm sure that you had fun.. More pics for the library and the upcoming newsletter! :-)

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

miniDSP at Frickelfest 2014 5 years 3 months ago #14728

• John Ashman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Oh, just went back to notice "old monastery" Because I was thinking "that is the worst hotel I've ever seen!"

miniDSP at Frickelfest 2014 5 years 3 months ago #14735

• curryman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
Hehe, you're right, the look wasn't first priority for most speakers :whistle: But the sound of some setups was really amazing!

One more example of "not so nice" (our setup) :P

John, actually we had some hotel rooms within this building that were quite OK but those were only for sleeping and thus not really used :blink:

kind regards, Daniel

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

miniDSP at Frickelfest 2014 5 years 3 months ago #14736

• John Ashman
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Bah. All you need to do is slap some dark cherry side panels on those and DONE!

There's something so refreshingly nice sounding about a room that has no plasterboard in it. Echoey, yes, but that can be fixed and there's nothing worse than the sound of vibrating plasterboard.

When I do my next theater, it will be concrete blocks but on the side and possibly some other areas, I will angle then at 45 degrees to create a deflective surface.
Moderators: devteam