Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Tips for better results with Dirac 2

Tips for better results with Dirac 2 1 month 3 weeks ago #50080

• Nikodemus
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all!

I'm looking for some pointers on how I might improve the results I'm getting with Dirac.

My speakers are a pair of self-made full range rear-loaded horns (Frugal-Horn XL). They work quite wonderfully, but really benefit from some EQ correction, as the bass is a bit boomy and the overall sound is a bit nasal, with the lack of a better word. On the other hand, the space of sound they create is unlike anything I have experienced in a stereo system. It really feels like the music is all around me to the extent that on some recordings this can be even a bit distracting.

Anyway, using Dirac has worked wonderfully in correcting the bass, it is much cleaner and tighter after the correction. The midrange imbalance is also eliminated. You can hear more nuances.

However, what also happens is that feeling of space is almost completely eliminated. With the remote it is easy to toggle the filter ON and OFF, and while the sound objectively gets better when the filter gets turned on, it also effectively sucks the sound out of the room around me and places it neatly between the speakers. Some folks might disagree with me, but I feel like I'm almost losing more than I'm gaining.

Is it possible to achieve a corrected response without taking away the sense of space? I would think that microphone placement might be the key here, but I wanted to ask for some guidance before starting to randomly experiment. The way I performed the measurements now was with the 17-point regime, sofa setting with wide imaging. I pointed the microphone towards the ceiling.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tips for better results with Dirac 2 1 month 2 weeks ago #50085

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1586
You could perhaps try limiting the correction frequency range and see if that makes a difference?
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

Tips for better results with Dirac 2 1 month 2 weeks ago #50090

• Nikodemus
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks, I will definitely try that!

Tips for better results with Dirac 2 1 month 5 days ago #50323

• WerTicus
  • Fresh Boarder
I wonder if the 'loss' in envelopment is due to some resonance being removed from the room - what does the initial curve look like before correction? post up a photo.
Moderators: devteam