Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Advice on better house curve?

Advice on better house curve? 2 months 3 weeks ago #49674

• vkg1
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have set up my pair of active monitors and an active sub using Dirac 3 on my DDRC-24 and it sounds fine but the bass just seems to weak. I know it measures well but in listening it just sounds thin.

I did use the Dirac house curve, I’d like to “boost” the bass some, but am scared to enter vertexes in the curve and start pushing things around. That seems too random and likely to produce something that might sound better to myself but unpleasant to everyone else.

Anyone have any advice on how to find and utilize house curves that might boost the bass a bit more but have evidence or at least good history of achieving satisfying results for a large number of people.

Just would like to boost the bass some, but do it in a somewhat systematic way rather than haphazardly moving things around as a novice. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated. My sub is a sealed sub that unfortunately seems to roll off quickly below about 29 Hz but otherwise performs very nicely. My xover is at 80.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by vkg1.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Advice on better house curve? 2 months 3 weeks ago #49698

• d.flade
  • Fresh Boarder
Internet search for harman Listener Target curves. I find that Harman's research on this subject closely reflects my own anecdotal findings in several years of demoing with Dirac Live.

Advice on better house curve? 2 months 2 weeks ago #49712

• TacTZilla
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
I've taken some screen shots of a presentation we showed at hi-fi shows when I helped set up TacT Audio UK, some 15 years ago :S

It may give you some pointers as to voicing your target curve, although it doesn't mention the lower bass much.

Perhaps try tweaking the bass a bit in the parametric eq instead of changing your target curve. Give it a bit of a lift, have a listen and then move up the frequency range a little until you get the desired effect.

Hope that helps a bit.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: danthe0, EdHowarth, Espowilleit, Sonicears

Advice on better house curve? 2 months 1 week ago #49865

• rts100x5
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
You can always start with the Dirac Measurement you have like (Config 1) as it is ,.,,,,the start using the PEQ on each channel while playing music to get and idea of how you want to boost or cut certain frequencies....

Advice on better house curve? 2 months 4 days ago #49965

Saw your post and figured I may be able to help a little. I was in the same position a while back and wound up finding a breakdown of the Harman Target Curve in dB's and manually transferred it into Dirac and tweaked it a little from there. Even the Harman Curve didn't have enough bass for my liking, but that was easily fixed. Between 160Hz and about 6KHz I follow the Harman Curve, and it sounds far more natural than I was able to do on my own, or with a straight downward slope that comes with Dirac. On either ends of the frequency spectrum, I find it's best to adjust in 0.2dB increments and listen each time until you find what sound you like. I'll attach a link to the pic that I used as the basis to make my own house curve. Hope this helps.

www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachme...d=75023&d=1482175217

Advice on better house curve? 1 month 3 weeks ago #50147

• skumflum
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been used the curve NAD is making available on their site:

nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/20...l_NADTargetCurve.txt

It looks much like the Harman Curve.

Advice on better house curve? 1 month 1 week ago #50292

I've attached the Harman Curve if anyone is interested. It's worth having a listen to it. It has a few ups and downs throughout the frequency response that I never would've thought of trying out.

File Attachment:

File Name: HarmanCurve.txt
File Size:1 KB

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Moderators: devteam