Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dirac Live Mic Measuring Rig (made of local PVC)

Dirac Live Mic Measuring Rig (made of local PVC) 1 year 5 months ago #45145

• Bnlcmb
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
In fact a hole isn’t even necessary.. One could simply turn the rig around and use the ‘rear’ mount positions for the front since they don't have extra arms attached to it:

Also you can see in the pics Jus above, I was able to achieve an upper and lower mic position without even using the riser cage.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dirac Live Mic Measuring Rig (made of local PVC) 1 year 5 months ago #45146

• Bnlcmb
  • Junior Boarder
Then to throw in more flexibility, you can if you like place the mic on the riser cage for even more possible mic positions!

With some extra parts you can fashion whatever your imagination comes up with.

Rig turned backwards sitting on riser cage. Riser cage has an extra holder placed on it fashioned from spare parts:

Just the riser cage with that extra holder:

Example of a ‘center’ position with mic placed on riser cage with both extra holder and included UMIK holder:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Amarcool

Dirac Live Mic Measuring Rig (made of local PVC) 1 year 5 months ago #45147

• Bnlcmb
  • Junior Boarder
To recap, my measurement points are not an end all be all for acquiring Dirac Live calibration measurements. I was merely searching for a means to obtain my Dirac Measurements with consistency in regards to the distances between each individual measuring point rather than just guesstimating with my hands.

My main assumption is that the Dirac Live algorithm maybe expecting that the points are measured in distances somewhat relative to each other when it calculates corrections.

That being said the rig was designed to be as close to the measurement points depicted in the Dirac Live Calibration Tool software in regards to the point locations and the figure’s head as well as the proportion of the measurement distances to the figure’s body dimensions:

Whether that gets the best result possible for an individual’s vehicle/home is unknown. Before the rig, I had played around doing tight spaced measurements and larger spaced measurements in my car via holding the mic in my hand in positions relative to my head. I felt the larger spaced measurements worked better for my vehicle when using the Sofa Focused measurement scheme and hence the rigs dimensions. But a tighter/smaller rig can be fashioned by using shorter pipes for the rig frame. The size can be determined by doing similar experimentation that I did.

It could also very well be that Dirac Live is ‘smarter’ than I give it credit for and the spacing between points do not need to be as consistent as the rig provides. Just wanted to share a possible method for peeps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amarcool

Dirac Live Mic Measuring Rig (made of local PVC) 1 year 5 months ago #45162

• Amarcool
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
This seems like a good weekend project. Great work!!! I was thinking of something to get consistent readings everytime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bnlcmb

Dirac Live Mic Measuring Rig (made of local PVC) 1 year 5 months ago #45171

• Bnlcmb
  • Junior Boarder
Give it a try! Kind of like putting legos together :laugh:

Plus you may come up with an improvement with your tinkering.

Dirac Live Mic Measuring Rig (made of local PVC) 1 year 5 months ago #45479

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1242
@Bnlcmb

Such a cool idea to make sure you have a known test jig for all position. Very creative!!

How does it sound? :-)

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Dirac Live Mic Measuring Rig (made of local PVC) 1 year 4 months ago #45590

• Bnlcmb
  • Junior Boarder
devteam wrote:
@Bnlcmb

Such a cool idea to make sure you have a known test jig for all position. Very creative!!

How does it sound? :-)

DevTeam

So far it’s sounding very good. I have been getting good results using the chair and sofa (focused) measurement schemes in the automotive setting via Dirac Live 2.0 on a DDRC22-D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam