Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: EARS with DDRC-22D?

EARS with DDRC-22D? 3 weeks 20 hours ago #44569

• velone
  • Fresh Boarder
I already have DDRC-22D. Can I use EARS to measure and correct my headphones with that gear? I want to use EARS in the same way as UMIK-1 and correct headphones with Dirac Live software. Will that works?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

EARS with DDRC-22D? 2 weeks 2 days ago #44645

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1065
@velone

unfortunately that wouldn't work I'm afraid since Dirac expects both channels to record. Right now the EARS aren't setup for stereo recording. It would need STEREO to MONO and the potential bleeding from one side to the other would most likely mess up the measurement.

I'm afraid that we don't have a way to do this setup. :-(

devTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

EARS with DDRC-22D? 1 week 3 days ago #44792

Doesn't the same amount of bleeding occur when wearing headphones though, it just isn't as noticeable. I would have thought it would be down to the headphones having good/bad isolation. Wouldn't the correction software recognise this bleeding issue and actually try to compensate for it? Maybe we should ask Dirac Live for a headphone version LOL. :)

EARS with DDRC-22D? 1 week 1 day ago #44831

• devteam
  • Administrator
@DIYAudiophileElliott

Not sure if we explained ourselves correctly here.
a) Dirac live must use a MONO microphone (that's how the software works)
b) EARS would therefore need to be configured for the MONO mode (i.e. L&R capsules are mixed).
c) When you sweep left headphone, it will go through the test jig and some level of signal will be picked up by right mic capsule. That's the issue. Software typically measure ONE mic at a time to isolate.

DevTeam

EARS with DDRC-22D? 1 week 1 day ago #44834

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
It is possible. You just need to use the matrix mixer on the plugin to direct both channels to one of the headphones channel. This makes it possible to make the Dirac Live correction to the one headphone channel you use, but I think the drivers are quite identical on decent headphones. After you have made the correction this way, you check the result with REW on each channel.

I used DDRC-24 with HA-DSP cause those I got handy right now, but I think this solution applies on SHD Studio and other miniDSP products with headphone amp and Dirac Live.

Just direct both left and right channel to the same headphone channel and make the correction that way. Delays between the headphone channels should be left untouched anyway, cause there shouldn't be any physical difference between them.

Here is my AKG K845BT headphones with and without Dirac Live correction.

Sorry about the Finnish language. I should get more into this subject once I get my SHD Studio back from customer. Please notice that this is possible only with Dirac Live version 2. Version 1 won't allow to use other microphones than UMIK-1.
Jussi Hoffrén @ aaninen.fi

EARS with DDRC-22D? 1 week 1 day ago #44835

• devteam
  • Administrator
Oh wow.. that's a neat trick Jussi!!

All this time, we thought that it would be a stereo, but if you take the assumption that both drivers are identical and just build ONE filter for say one side, then indeed, that's a brilliant idea...

Why we never thought of this, it boggles us but we're really glad to see one trial it!!

Good question for you: How does it sound? We're super curious... :-)

Few things to know:
- Only the DDRC-24/SHD series would support this knowing you need a matrix mixer.
- You'd need Dirac Live 2 as already mentioned as indeed you need discovery of another device.

DevTeam

EARS with DDRC-22D? 1 week 1 day ago #44843

• aaninen
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
There is several things in this current setup to decrease the objective sound quality. With DDRC-24 and HA-DSP used there is another pair of DA-AD conversions and extra analog cables between them.

Any way, I really like the sound of the AKG K845BT headphones with Dirac Live correction. It is much better than without correction. The roughness on the higher frequencies is gone and bass isn't so one-noted. I suggest everyone to take chance on Dirac Live with headphones. I did the correction for the whole lane and it works very well.

I think best product for this kind of setup is SHD Studio.
Jussi Hoffrén @ aaninen.fi

EARS with DDRC-22D? 6 days 19 hours ago #44881

-
Last Edit: 6 days 19 hours ago by DIYAudiophileElliott. Reason: now incorrect information

EARS with DDRC-22D? 6 days 19 hours ago #44883

If I were you I would let the bass follow the original shape of the headphones, (as in the smooth trail off). You'd want to do this for two reasons.
1. The alteration makes the impulse response in the bass frequencies much worse as shown on the waterfall graph.
2. Having a boost in the bass frequencies can majorly increase distortion as lower frequencies = more excursion = more distortion. Possibly even damaging your headphones.

I just want to help. :)
But what an amazing job you did, those changes really look like they will have made a big difference. I bet you love the new sound! :)
Moderators: devteam