Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: DDRC-88D and home theater

DDRC-88D and home theater 1 week 5 days ago #41270

• dirkwright
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Hello, I am a bit confused by this product. It seems ideal for my application, where all of the speakers in my 7.1 system are active, using your DSP plate amps. I only need to connect the AES cable to each plate amp and away I go! However, I'm having some confusion on the input side. I see that there are 4 AES inputs available. How do you connect them to typical home consumer devices like a DVD player, or a Roku streamer, etc.? These devices usually have either HDMI output, or maybe Toslink, or something besides AES. I'm not aware of a HDMI to AES converter either. Do I need another box (like your DIGI-FP) to get AES out of some of these devices? I guess maybe the TV has a digital audio output? I dunno. What's the best way to do all of this? I really like the simplicity of it! wow, awesome. Any help appreciated.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but does the DDRC-88D perform as a surround processor in addition to room correction, or is it just room correction? thanks.

I guess I'm looking for a digital version of your nanoAVR HDA (which I guess would be nanoAVR HDD???). I want to use your plate amps for all of the speakers, and use AES to connect everything together.
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by dirkwright.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DDRC-88D and home theater 1 week 5 days ago #41276

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1409
Probably intended more for production, interfaced to things like this: motu.com/video-products/v4hd/features/audio-io.html

Once the audio is released on delivery media and/or HDMI, HDMI licensing or DRM or something prevents straight digital conversion. As I understand it.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: dirkwright

DDRC-88D and home theater 1 week 4 days ago #41287

• dirkwright
  • Expert Boarder
Here's hoping for a nanoAVR-HDD! That would be perfect actually, similar to the OpenDRC-DI. If the nanoAVR had 4 AES outputs, then that's something I would buy.

If your plate amplifiers had HDMI inputs, then I could use the nanoAVR-HD or nanoAVR-DL.

More searching has revealed an HDMI to AES converter box with 4 AES ports for 7.1 audio. Arvus makes one. So, it is possible to use your gear with your plate amps after all.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by dirkwright.

DDRC-88D and home theater 1 week 4 days ago #41288

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
Not "my" gear :) But that box has come up before, it costs double (more?) what the DDRC-88D does.

DDRC-88D and home theater 1 week 4 days ago #41289

• dirkwright
  • Expert Boarder
I figured as much, that it was really expensive. I cannot find any alternative however. I think it would be great if miniDSP made their plate amps compatible with the nanoAVR series. I do not want to run 20 feet of unbalanced RCA cable either, nor do I think 20 feet of speaker cable is a good idea. I would be fine with 20 feet of balanced analog or digital, but would much prefer digital (either HDMI or AES). I'm mostly happy with my little 2.1 living room system that uses miniDSP components, all connected together with AES. The plate amps have too much noise for high sensitivity loudspeakers, but they are quieter than other brands by a large amount.

DDRC-88D and home theater 1 week 4 days ago #41291

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
That would be pretty neat. But HDMI licensing/DRM wraps everything up so tightly. It's really hard to break out of the mold fashioned by the consumer HT market. How do you have your amps connected now - unbalanced analog from an A/V processor?

DDRC-88D and home theater 1 week 4 days ago #41295

• dirkwright
  • Expert Boarder
For my 2.1 living room system, I have an OpenDRC-DI and 3 miniDSP plate amps. They are all connected by AES. For my basement 2.1 TV system, I have all analog. I'm thinking of changing the basement TV system to something better using miniDSP parts, but it's a bit frustrating.

My old plasma TV has digital audio out via Toslink, but I doubt that more than 2 channels. If there are TVs with multi channel digital out, then that would be the way to go I think. I'll have to look into that.

DDRC-88D and home theater 1 week 4 days ago #41297

• alandbush
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
There is a thread within this forum that referred to using units from Blackmagic Design.
In particular

1 - Micro Converter HDMI to SDI wPSU
2 - Mini Converter SDI to Audio

The latter is a SDI/HD-SDI/3G-SDI audio de-embedder to 8 ch AES/EBU or 4 ch analog audio.
The pair seem a reasonable cost at under £200. Of course, it complicates the HT system but ...

DDRC-88D and home theater 3 days 21 hours ago #41367

• dirkwright
  • Expert Boarder
It sure would be nice if we could have a digital connection between a miniDSP home theater processor and the miniDSP plate amps. I really don't want to make 20 foot runs of analog RCA cables (nor 20 foot runs of speaker cable). AES seems ideal for this application.
Moderators: devteam
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds