Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Newbie needs help!

Newbie needs help! 4 months 3 weeks ago #36696

• Skol303
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all. I'm a noob to Dirac/miniDSP and have some questions. First post here, so please go easy :)

1) My frequency response features some dips that can't be fixed by EQ (modal and comb filter nulls). Should I customise the target curve in Dirac to follow the shape of these nulls, so that the software doesn't try to boost them unnecessarily?

2) I'm using the DDRC-22A (analogue in/out). The -10dB attenuation messes with the gain staging of my set up, resulting in a low output to my powered monitors. Would I be ok selecting the -6dB attenuation, given that one of the frequency dips that Dirac tries to correct is just over 10dB? I don't want to eat up all my headroom and cause clipping. But equally, I could really do with the extra output level.

3) Is there an option to switch off the inter-speaker location correction delay?

Thanks for any advice!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Newbie needs help! 4 months 1 week ago #36820

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 898
@ Skol303

Good question.
- Typically we'd always recommend to keep the target curve around/below the overall natural response of the speaker. Trying to follow DIP isn't required though. Dirac Live algo will know better when he sees a huge DIP.
- Sure, I don't think that any problem to remove the attenuation. You should be all fine.
- No control of the delay I'm afraid. It's preset by Dirac Live.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Newbie needs help! 4 months 1 week ago #36838

• Skol303
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Devs!

- I've since tested using a target curve that follows the dips and a curve that doesn't. No audible difference; nor any significant visible difference in acoustic measurements between the two curves. So I'm going to leave the target curve not following the dips for convenience.

- No sign yet of any clipping using attenuation set to -6dB (rather than -10dB), so that's all good.

- Shame about no option to control the inter-speaker correction delay. That's pretty much a deal breaker for some of my professional colleagues. Perhaps something to discuss with the team at Dirac?

Thanks again for your reply.
Moderators: devteam
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds