Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: DDRC-24 PEQ correction on top of Dirac live?

DDRC-24 PEQ correction on top of Dirac live? 2 weeks 3 days ago #34023

• MPV
  • Fresh Boarder
I have a silly question.
What is the reason to generate PEQ filters with REW on top of Dirac Live? It is like a secondary correction. Right?
thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DDRC-24 PEQ correction on top of Dirac live? 2 weeks 2 days ago #34043

• grosso
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
It is usually used before Dirac, to fine tune the house target or when more PEQS are needed.
But it can also be used post Dirac to quickly test some little changes here and there, before implementing them in a new target in Dirac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

DDRC-24 PEQ correction on top of Dirac live? 2 weeks 2 days ago #34045

• MPV
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks,
I though PEQ is used for systems without Dirac capability.Both aimed for a correction curve. Or more to compare a DDRC slot with Dirac against another slot with REW filter assigned. Are these two different approaches?grosso wrote:
It is usually used before Dirac, to fine tune the house target or when more PEQS are needed.
But it can also be used post Dirac to quickly test some little changes here and there, before implementing them in a new target in Dirac.

DDRC-24 PEQ correction on top of Dirac live? 2 weeks 2 days ago #34047

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1186
It's important to understand that PEQ can be used for a variety of reasons. To answer your question, "What is the reason to generate PEQ filters with REW on top of Dirac Live?", there isn't one, the most likely effect will be to stuff up the correction that Dirac Live put in. By "generate PEQ filters with REW" I assume that you mean the REW auto EQ.

So yes, the REW auto-EQ and Dirac Live are two different approaches. Dirac Live is more sophisticated in that it uses 9 measurements and has a clever algorithm to avoid trying to "correct the uncorrectible." It also corrects the impulse response.

However, some level of subjective tuning (not auto-EQ) could be used after Dirac Lve calibration, as grosso says to test effect of target curve changes. The easiest one is shelving filters to increase or decrease treble or bass. It's just quicker to change this with PEQ than using a new target curve.

HTH
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, MPV

DDRC-24 PEQ correction on top of Dirac live? 2 weeks 2 days ago #34048

• grosso
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
Sure you can do everything, there's not really good or wrong way, it all depends of your setup.
Iput is general and applies to all channels behind, so is good to define a global target.
When output is more about individual drivers when active, or each speaker when passive.
Then you can add dirac or anything else on top.

Yes there's redondance with the dirac target, and in my experience very little eq is needed pre-dirac anyway, but some others might want to use everything available.
If you want to compare I think the only way on ddrc24 is to toggle on/off dirac, and in fact compare rew VS rew+dirac.
(I'm not sure but I don't think you can turn dirac on for one preset, and off for another one on any mini dirac)
Dirac adjust levels to be similar when on or off exactly for that purpose.

If you really want to compare rew Vs dirac, then you need to toggle dirac and change preset in the same time (rew tune with dirac off VS non rew tune with dirac on :p) kind of hard, especially about levels.

Edit: oops John was faster :p
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by grosso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, MPV

DDRC-24 PEQ correction on top of Dirac live? 1 week 5 days ago #34096

• denver8me4dinner
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Grosso and John are both right and I would add ,

It’s nice to be able to control certain frequencies on specific sets of drivers , especially in the crossover/driver-interaction zones
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds