Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Delay Problem with DDRC88BM in the chain?

Delay Problem with DDRC88BM in the chain? 4 weeks 18 hours ago #33097

• lelulac
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello,

I come to you because I have a problem with my installation.

I use a yamaha cx-a5100 preamp in 7.1.4 mode

The S, SB, Top are directly processed by the yamaha but I added a DDRC88BM to process the 3 frontal and sub. (Crossover 2 ways on the frontals, BM and dirac 4 channels)

The result is very satisfactying but I found an annoying problem ...
There is an audible delay between the front and all surround channels!
We are not talking about 15ms but I rather feel like we are close to 100ms because I really hear the delay!

Could you tell me to resolve?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Delay Problem with DDRC88BM in the chain? 4 weeks 7 hours ago #33102

• AV_mike
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The DDRC88BM will introduce approx. 20ms of delay to all the channels that pass through it. We humans are quite sensitive to even small delays - when we have a reference. The 'normal' advice is to configure and calibrate Dirac first - and then run an AVR's in-built room equalisation system just to account for the delays to non-Dirac channels. However, this advice also includes the recommendation to then disable the AVR equalisation - just leaving the gains & delays in place - you DO NOT want two systems running together. This advice normally assumes that all channels, except maybe over-head ATMOS, are processed by Dirac.
I would suggest reconfiguring your system to allow Dirac to process mains, surrounds, back surrounds, and subwoofer channels (8), and just leave the four over-heads going direct from the Yamaha. Run Dirac on all 8 connected channels, then run YPAO so that it can measure all the delays. Finally disable YPAO, and set its gains & delays to balance the over-heads with the low-level channels.
This would mean foregoing the crossovers on the front mains - but getting Dirac working properly will probably be of more benefit.
Regards, and good luck with your system, Mike.
Last Edit: 4 weeks 7 hours ago by AV_mike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, lelulac

Delay Problem with DDRC88BM in the chain? 3 weeks 6 days ago #33109

• AustinJerry
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
AV_mike wrote:
This would mean foregoing the crossovers on the front mains - but getting Dirac working properly will probably be of more benefit.

I agree with the advice you have given, Mike. But I am confused by what you mean by foregoing the crossovers for the front mains. Unless there is something I don't understand about the Yamaha, I don't see why the crossovers cannot remain configured. What am I missing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: lelulac

Delay Problem with DDRC88BM in the chain? 3 weeks 5 days ago #33129

• AV_mike
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi Jerry,

I think I mis-understood the initial post, thinking the OP was using the DDRC88 to handle active crossovers for two of his mains - meaning that although only using four Dirac channels, he may already have six outputs in use - hence the comment about crossovers. My bad.

Regards, Mike.

Delay Problem with DDRC88BM in the chain? 3 weeks 3 days ago #33152

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 709
@ lelulac

Some very good answers already from the community!
I'd maybe recommend that you measure that "magic" delay.. :-) www.minidsp.com/applications/auto-eq-wit...measuring-time-delay

100ms sounds very unlikely. As mentioned by Mike, the DDRC-88A adds about 13mS. I think that there is something else going on here.. :-)

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds