Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: DDRC-22DA Analog out to Unbalanced Amp In?

DDRC-22DA Analog out to Unbalanced Amp In? 3 months 1 week ago #27368

• jwitkin
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
What is the correct way to connect the balanced XLR analog outs of the DRCC22-DA to the unbalanced 1/4" ins of my vintage Crown DC300A amp?

Do I need to use isolation transformers to unbalance the signal (whirlwindusa.com/catalog/black-boxes-eff...face-solutions/iso-1), or can I use use XLR to TS cables)? They will be short - 3 ft or less.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DDRC-22DA Analog out to Unbalanced Amp In? 3 months 1 week ago #27372

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 859
XLR to TS should work BUT they should I believe be the type that do not connect pin3 on the XLR. See configuration #3 here: www.rane.com/note110.html
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

DDRC-22DA Analog out to Unbalanced Amp In? 3 months 1 week ago #27392

• jwitkin
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply. I came across that Rane article while researching last night.

Also interesting is Crown's own recommendation that the unbalanced 1/4" TS connector be wired to pins 2 and 3, leaving the shield (pin 1) floating (but attached at the source end), rather than the more common use of pins 1 (shield) and 2. There is online discussion of that as well.

I guess that is like using a direct box or isolation transformer, and activating the ground lift.

I wired up some jumper cables that way - I'll try it when I get my DDRC-22. If there is hum, I'll try your option, or joining the shield and pin 3 together to the sleeve. Or shell out for the isolation transformers - which, as Rane says, is the right way. :)

Joe

DDRC-22DA Analog out to Unbalanced Amp In? 3 months 1 week ago #27394

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 859
Sure, no worries,
jwitkin wrote:
Also interesting is Crown's own recommendation that the unbalanced 1/4" TS connector be wired to pins 2 and 3, leaving the shield (pin 1) floating (but attached at the source end),

That's #5 in the Rane article. The difference is how the output stage of the source is configured. If it's floating then pin 3 needs to be connected. However, AFAIK the miniDSP is simple two out of phase signals referenced to ground. Might be best to confirm with miniDSp support.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

DDRC-22DA Analog out to Unbalanced Amp In? 3 months 1 week ago #27395

• jwitkin
  • Fresh Boarder
That makes sense. Will do!

Joe
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds