Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Dirac 88a popping

Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20273

• rhubarb4
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi guys I have a Dirac 88a connected via a Denon x5200 to 2 Nakamichi power amps, I'm using all 8 Dirac channels, my setup is connected using my original phono to phono leads, I have been getting a loud popping sound quite a few times a night recently. Has anyone had this issue on the 88a if so is there anything you could recommend me trying.

Thanks, Chris.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20276

• AustinJerry
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
rhubarb4 wrote:
Hi guys I have a Dirac 88a connected via a Denon x5200 to 2 Nakamichi power amps, I'm using all 8 Dirac channels, my setup is connected using my original phono to phono leads, I have been getting a loud popping sound quite a few times a night recently. Has anyone had this issue on the 88a if so is there anything you could recommend me trying.

Thanks, Chris.

Is the popping happening randomly when you are listening to the system? Or is it when you are powering the 88A of and on?

Can you clarify what you mean when you say your connections are using the "original phono to phono leads"? There are only two ways to connect the 88A, either using unbalanced (RCA) cables, or balanced (XLR) cables. Which are you using?

I have been using the 88A for over six months and have never heard a single popping sound. I leave it powered on all the time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20278

• rhubarb4
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Austin thanks for the reply, I'm using RCA cables which are good quality leads as I dont have XLR on my Denon only RCA out. I was using the existing RCA cables to connect the setup before I added the Dirac, I bought another 8 of the sane to add the Dirac. It only makes the popping sound when watching films or listening to music etc, it doesn't pop when switched on or off only when in use with films/music.

Thanks, Chris.

Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20279

• AustinJerry
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
rhubarb4 wrote:
Hi Austin thanks for the reply, I'm using RCA cables which are good quality leads as I dont have XLR on my Denon only RCA out. I was using the existing RCA cables to connect the setup before I added the Dirac, I bought another 8 of the sane to add the Dirac. It only makes the popping sound when watching films or listening to music etc, it doesn't pop when switched on or off only when in use with films/music.

Thanks, Chris.

That does not sound normal. Let's see what the DevTeam has to say.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhubarb4

Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20282

• rhubarb4
  • Fresh Boarder
Hopefully they can help

Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20321

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 629
@ Chris,

We've indeed haven't heard of this before. The only thing we could potentially think would be saturation (input or internal) of the DDRC-88A.
Do you happen to know what are your levels at the input of the DDRC-88A? e.g. Source and jumper setting.
Once we get this info combined with the configuration that you're running inside it (i.e. would need the project file), we could try to get more data on your configuration.

Feel free to create a tech support ticket (minidsp.desk.com) to share all these files. That's the communication path with our team for any tech support issue.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20324

• rhubarb4
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Dev Team I will have a look when I get back from work today, I know that the dip switches inside the unit are set to unbalanced as I'm using the RCA's and the source is my oppo 103. Last night with my system switched on but nothing playing as my TV was off it also popped. What do you mean by the levels at the input please and how would I find that out.

Thanks for your reply, Chris.

Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20374

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 629
@ Chris,

Very odd indeed. I wonder what this could be.
Would you mind to please create a tech support ticket with our CS team? (minidsp.desk.com)
We can take it from there to get all the project files and such to troubleshoot a bit more. Thanks.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Re:Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20383

• venkatesh
  • Fresh Boarder
Maybe worth trying to do a full reset on the unit to see if that fixes the pops?

Re:Dirac 88a popping 1 year 4 months ago #20415

• rhubarb4
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi I have done a full reset and powered off the unit and since then it has not popped, I was going to do a tech ticket but since it's not popped again I'm hoping the full reset cured it, thanks for the info and il repost in a few days to give it time to see if it happens again.
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds