Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us) as this is the official path for support by our team. Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: HELP w REW

HELP w REW 3 weeks 1 day ago #43090

• rts100x5
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34
So my setup as is 6x8 CDSP
Front tweeters / mid bass bi amped
Rear tweeters / mid bass biamped
2x 8in subs opposed in center console

Should I measure every driver separately or as a "pair" or "groups" ie Front L tweeters with midbass / Rear tweeters w midbass
OR
Front L tweeter/midbass then Front R tweeter/midbass > same with rears

Do I then after measurement make a system measurement and add corrective EQ ?

Thanks for any advice
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HELP w REW 2 weeks 3 days ago #43122

• denver8me4dinner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 40
rts100x5 wrote:
So my setup as is 6x8 CDSP
Front tweeters / mid bass bi amped
Rear tweeters / mid bass biamped
2x 8in subs opposed in center console

Should I measure every driver separately or as a "pair" or "groups" ie Front L tweeters with midbass / Rear tweeters w midbass
OR
Front L tweeter/midbass then Front R tweeter/midbass > same with rears

Do I then after measurement make a system measurement and add corrective EQ ?

Thanks for any advice

Set time delays tape measurements distance

Use RTA with pink PN 1/6th oactave at least
And use full range output with longer FFT blocks for LF use moving mic averages around your head. 32 averages is good 16 will work also

Measure the left tweeter with the crossover an oactave past it’s desired crossover make it flat
Apply it’s settings to the right tweeter

Than play both tweeters, look at rta for what changed, try taking any peaks out of the right side EQ

Than turn crossovers to desired frequency

Than do the left mid applying the same changes you made to the left to the right, setting the crossover an oactave past , make it flat. Than Turn on right side and look for changes
Any peaks above 1k turn down on right speaker
Any peaks below 1k turn down both speakers.

Set crossover to desired

Play all speakers look at response
Ajust gains till the shape is right

There will be a peak about an oactave below the tweeter (usually between 1k-2k) use eq on mid and tweet together both sides to shape that down

Listen add additional shelving or tilt using gain or filters.

That should get it sounding good. Listen using a relative polarity track, make sure the center and left and right are where they should be center being between the speakers not in front of you.
Gain down left side if too loud and causing center to not be centered. Up to 6db in some cases.

By flattening the speaker an oactave past crossover than turn on crossover will make the crossover work the way it should and wherever the acoustic slopes end up will work and stay in phase for the most part.

If you try to eq left and right separately there may be too many differences, you don’t want that. Minimize the eq differences between left and right. Only deviate eq L/R if it’s worth it in the midrange. The tweets should be okay with some differences in eq. But they should still have mostly the same eq applied. B)

After fronts done repeat for rears
After rears are done it’s wise to add a shelving filter to the rears starting at 100-400hz range with a -6db slope or so, you want the rears to attenuate the highs. You won’t want the rear tweeters as loud as front. A stronger tilt on rears will sound better , or for rears just do a 200hz to 800hz LPF and cut all the HF out. That usually sounds nice .

After all done use delay on rears to reinforce the stage upfront, ajust delays using relative polarity track. Make them blend so the “disappear” and the soundstage is solid :)

That’s my basic starter recipe for get good sound. There’s much more advanced methods but this is simple and get you in the ballpark

Hope that helps ;)
Last Edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by denver8me4dinner.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam