Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 4 weeks ago #45708

Well I found a workaround to the problem from another post after searching for a while. Open Dirac through the minidsp app, close Dirac, and them manually open Dirac up again and it will ask permission to use the microphone and you can take measurements. I guess the security crap on mojave doesn't like programs opening other programs and wouldn't kick off the permissions tab. Dirac is now listed under the Security and Privacy tab of system preferences as well.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 4 weeks ago #45710

• AfghanVet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
ajellison83 wrote:
Well I found a workaround to the problem from another post after searching for a while. Open Dirac through the minidsp app, close Dirac, and them manually open Dirac up again and it will ask permission to use the microphone and you can take measurements. I guess the security crap on mojave doesn't like programs opening other programs and wouldn't kick off the permissions tab. Dirac is now listed under the Security and Privacy tab of system preferences as well.

I'll try this in a little bit in the car, but I wanted some clarification if you are willing.

1) 'Open Dirac through the minidsp app' - are you referring to the Plug-In, or Dirac Live Calibration Tool app?

2) 'Close Dirac' - are you saying to turn off Dirac within the Plug-In or close the Dirac Live Calibration Tool app?

3) 'Manually open Dirac up again' - Dirac Live Calibration Tool app?

I would love to be able to do this because it is terrible going back and forth from the Mac to my netbook - I just want to use the Mac.......I almost updated to Catalina, but who knows what problems that might cause.

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 4 weeks ago #45712

• Ziggyrama
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
AfghanVet wrote:
ajellison83 wrote:

I'll try this in a little bit in the car, but I wanted some clarification if you are willing.

1) 'Open Dirac through the minidsp app' - are you referring to the Plug-In, or Dirac Live Calibration Tool app?

2) 'Close Dirac' - are you saying to turn off Dirac within the Plug-In or close the Dirac Live Calibration Tool app?

3) 'Manually open Dirac up again' - Dirac Live Calibration Tool app?

I would love to be able to do this because it is terrible going back and forth from the Mac to my netbook - I just want to use the Mac.......I almost updated to Catalina, but who knows what problems that might cause.

Let's wait for confirmation but I suspect his software is different than our C-DSP. His previous post says he upgraded to DDRC which has a different set of plugins. His description does not seem to align with what we have to do when using both C-DSP and Dirac apps. For example, there is no option in C-DSP plugin to launch Dirac.

Based on my understanding of the problem, we're hitting a security issue on Mojave. I did some digging and there may be a pretty gory workaround to this but it requires admin privileges on the laptop and you have to be comfortable with running sqlite3 to do direct inserts TCC.db file that manages which apps get access to microphone. You also need to first boot into recovery mode and disable SIP in order to gain access to database file. I could try this but I don't have full admin privileges on my Mac (it's a work laptop) so I cannot disable SIP so I am stuck.

Another workaround could be to launch Dirac from Terminal directly which may trigger microphone access prompt. I've seen a thread somewhere where someone did this and it worked since Terminal was the wrapping app and it is built to request access. I may try this tonight if I have time. So, basically, start Terminal and run this:
/Applications/MiniDSP/nanoAVR/Dirac\ Live\ Calibration\ Tool.app/Contents/MacOS/Dirac\ Live\ Calibration\ Tool

You will see Dirac app start. Once you get to the mic section, pay attention to prompts and see if something pops up and asks for mic access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AfghanVet

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 4 weeks ago #45722

• AfghanVet
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Ziggy for not bashing me for not noticing the different piece of hardware.....another friend on this forum pointed that out to me after I forwarded it to him. :)

I wish I was at your level of understanding on the Mac to be able to follow what you wrote. I have admin rights to my personal Mac, but I don't have a clue how to do what you wrote :(

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 4 weeks ago #45723

• Ziggyrama
  • Fresh Boarder
AfghanVet wrote:
Thanks Ziggy for not bashing me for not noticing the different piece of hardware.....another friend on this forum pointed that out to me after I forwarded it to him. :)

I wish I was at your level of understanding on the Mac to be able to follow what you wrote. I have admin rights to my personal Mac, but I don't have a clue how to do what you wrote :(

No worries. To be fair, this is a C-DSP section so one can easily make an assumption that threads in this area are related to C-DSP.

I will try to make time and see if the Terminal workaround is an option. I will post once I have something.

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 4 weeks ago #45724

Well sorry guys. I guess my workaround only works for users with the DDRC-24, but it consists of this.

Open DDRC-24 program on Mojave and connect to it. Then in the upper right corner click the Open DiracLive button which will disconnect from the minidsp and open Dirac. Click DDRC-24 in the Dirac program to connect to it. Then close the Dirac program and manually open it again from the Finder, I guess you would call it. I'm very new to using Mac's, been a Linux user for 10+ years, but switched over because these are supposed to be easier to use ironically. It then asked me for permission to use the UMIK-1 and now shows up under the Security and Privacy sections as a microphone being used by Dirac. I have to open it this way every time I want the microphone to work for Dirac, so it's a workaround I have to use every time.

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 4 weeks ago #45725

• Ziggyrama
  • Fresh Boarder
ajellison83 wrote:
Well sorry guys. I guess my workaround only works for users with the DDRC-24, but it consists of this.

Open DDRC-24 program on Mojave and connect to it. Then in the upper right corner click the Open DiracLive button which will disconnect from the minidsp and open Dirac. Click DDRC-24 in the Dirac program to connect to it. Then close the Dirac program and manually open it again from the Finder, I guess you would call it. I'm very new to using Mac's, been a Linux user for 10+ years, but switched over because these are supposed to be easier to use ironically. It then asked me for permission to use the UMIK-1 and now shows up under the Security and Privacy sections as a microphone being used by Dirac. I have to open it this way every time I want the microphone to work for Dirac, so it's a workaround I have to use every time.

Thanks for clarifying. I suspected your solution works for DDRC as that plugin works differently.

Apple added the security feature to prevent malicious apps from highjacking your camera or microphone without your permission and using it to spy on you. It was well intended but poorly executed IMO. This lockdown is not backwards compatible and breaks lots of existing apps and given how Apple forces updates, they really just crammed this down people's throats. Apps that don't get attention much will stop working until the maintainers update them. I've been a Linux user for years and based on my experience, OSX is a second class citizen if you compare it to Ubuntu or Fedora. Limited features, questionable security, weak sauce networking support. Anyways, sorry for the rant but I'd love to get MiniDSP and Dirac on Ubuntu. I would pay extra $$$ for that :)

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 3 weeks ago #45730

• Ziggyrama
  • Fresh Boarder
Update, I tried the terminal workaround and this is a good news/bad news situation. Good news is that when I launch Dirac app from terminal using CLI, I get the access prompt and I can set the input gain on the mic and the app is getting the signal. The bad news is that when I start the sweep, the app crashed. It's 100% consistent. So, we got past the original problem but the end result is a fail. This is on Mojave. Devs need to look at this. I am giving up on OSX for now until this is fixed.

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 3 weeks ago #45844

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1149
Dear All

Unfortunately the latest update from OSx broke some components at the back and Dirac doesn't support v1 anymore. (i.e. not compiling anymore new revs of Dirac1).

We've now been forging ahead for the past few weeks at Dirac 2.0 support for multichannel platforms (inc 8x12DL). It will provide support for OSx and be a better method. It's however a major undertaking (much more complex due to the flexible configuration of multichannel platforms). Thanks for your patience.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rccotroneo, tmorrowus

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 2 weeks ago #45967

• itlnstln
  • Fresh Boarder
Ran into these issues in Catalina as well. I'm going to try tuning using a Windows VM and see how that works; I don't have access to a Windows machine, so it's frustrating not being able to play with my new toy :). Posting to keep track of this topic.
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by itlnstln.

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 2 weeks ago #45987

• itlnstln
  • Fresh Boarder
I tried VirtualBox to create a Windows VM, and it didn't work (too much lag, I think). I was searching around and someone in the Emotiva forum had good results using VMware Fusion. I gave it a shot, and was able to do a successful tune. In a pinch, you can use the VMware Fusion software on a 30-day free trial and also use Windows 10 unactivated for ~30 days as well. Worth checking out if you just bought the C-DSP and are working on a Mac

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 2 weeks ago #45990

• itlnstln
  • Fresh Boarder
I ran another tune this morning, this time with me in the car for measurements 2-9. The image is still pulled to the right. I noticed on the Dirac tab that while the delays look OK-ish, the right channels look to be over-compensated for in gain. Dirac boosted (well, under-cut) the right channels by about 6 dB. I can adjust this in the output tab in the plug in which helps, but I would figure Dirac would do a better job setting the levels. I also noticed that when I compensated for the levels the T/A was still a little off, with the image still shifted to the right some. When I perform the tune, I use the chair measurement in the driver's seat. Is there something I might be doing wrong? Otherwise, the tune is great. The correction is basically perfect to the target, and from that perspective, it sounds great.
Last Edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by itlnstln.

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 2 weeks ago #45991

• rccotroneo
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Are you sure the mic is on the correct side during measurements 2-9?... I only ask because looking at the mic location illustration on the measurements page can throw some off … 2nd mic location is shown on right side of screen but mic placement is the left side of the listening position.

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 2 weeks ago #45992

• itlnstln
  • Fresh Boarder
I’m pretty sure I accounted for that, but you might be right. I’ll give it another go. Thanks!

Dirac Live Calibration tool on OSX Mojave 8 months 2 weeks ago #46004

• eep357
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
When I did mine, I initially setup with tape measure for distances and TA outside of DIRAC, particularly for the 3way active fronts. In DIRAC tuned as a 3ch setup (stereo plus sub). Didn't include the rears since they are just fill. With middle of "the couch" being middle of drivers seat, all the measurements to the left were taken bunched up between me and the drivers door/B-pillar, while the ones to the right were spaced out across the center console all the way to the passenger side B pillar. Won't say it's perfect but imaging is pretty good. The bass from the trunk sounds like it's in the driver's seat and vocals are centered just left of center dash, still looking forward to 2.0 :)