Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

MiniDSP & TAT 11 years 6 months ago #781

• nimrod
  • nimrod's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
Here’s a short review of a MiniDSP project I just completed.

About two years ago I added a horn subwoofer to my van. It was the TAT (Tall Auto Tuba), designed by Bill Fitzmaurice.
See this and his many other designs here:

This is the TAT in my van:

While the performance and quality of the sound system was great, I was still bothered by few peeks in the overall response that I wasn’t able to tame with the crude xover of the power amp and the basic three band EQ of the head unit.

I don’t remember where I read about the MiniDSP, but I immediately thought it would fit my system and give me the detailed control I was missing.

I ordered the MiniDSP card and was originally meaning to install it in a separate case. On second thought and after checking for available space, I decided to integrate it into the power amp’s housing.
Here are some pics of the ‘implant’:

Here is the original power amp:

Location and orientation of the card in the amp:

Undercover drilled for the card's support bolts:

RCA inputs added to the amp's front panel. These go directly the MiniDSP's inputs:

USB port added too:

The USB port viewed from inside:

The modified front panel:

The outputs of the card are connected directly to the legs of the amp's original RCA input sockets:

And here just before closing:

I have reinstalled the amp in the van a few days ago and only did a fast preliminary setting.
Already there is a major improvement in the system’s balance.
I now need to sit down and properly calibrate the MiniDSP and put its full potential into action…

:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:MiniDSP & TAT 11 years 6 months ago #787

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1338
Great setup Nimrod! Very creative that you had enough space to fit it inside the amp...

Make sure that the insulation sheet is well in place and not to short your 1000w amp with our board!! :S

keep us updated on your progress.
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re:MiniDSP & TAT 11 years 6 months ago #803

• nimrod
  • nimrod's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks,

The amp may look impressive and is also named "Rodeo 1200"...
but actually delivers something in the region of 50w RMS into 4 ohm per channel.

The real beauty is in the efficiency of the horn. The TAT is based on a moderate 8" (!!!) woofer
and reaches SPL level that could be compared to a conventional front loaded sub (say 12")
... needing a true 500 -1000w amp.

The TAT’s 8” is powered by two bridged channels that give approx. 100w into 8 ohm.
This is the humble 8"

And there's also the improved accuracy and fidelity of the horn...

:)

Re:MiniDSP & TAT 11 years 6 months ago #807

• petegt
Nice work there. I have also built a couple of TAT's loaded with jbl gto 804 drivers and using the mini dsp for eq and time allignment.

I have noticed that in music with allot of kick drum etc you can notice the delay of the TAT. Will have to post up my project but it is on hold at the moment.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam