Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Advice: Upmixer miniDSP8x12DL 1 year 8 months ago #48371

• sbbratton
  • sbbratton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I need advice. I have an Alpine PXA-H800 DSP which can do upmixing for a true center channel/surround sound. However, I want to go to a completely active 12-channel system and would like to have DIRAC live for auto-EQ/“room” correction. I am considering using the H800 as just an upmixer to feed FL, FR, RL, RR, C, and sub channels into the miniDSP8x12DL DSP for everything else (crossovers, TA, phase adjustments, room correction, etc). But aside from having two DSPs to deal with, this will result into two rounds of ADC—>DAC conversions. So my questions are (1) would this approach result in a loss in sound quality; (2) which of the DSPs would control the overall system volume; and (3) is there a more elegant way to retain upmixing, while adding more active channels and Dirac live using a miniDSP product? Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice: Upmixer miniDSP8x12DL 1 year 5 months ago #49947

• Jscoyne2
  • Thank you received: 3
1. Most likely would be just fine but each device as an internal delay built in so if any channel was bypassed to another device. Your delays would be wonky.

2. Most likely whichever one had a controller, i'd recommend the MINIDSP as the device controller as it would allow you to select presets, among other reasons.

3. Keep in mind that the 8x12 only has Dirac on 8 channels. The other 4 are simple Peq, XO, TA. For car use the only upmixing i know of is the h800 or the MS8. You can use the ms8 soley as an upmixer without T/A or EQ involved. I think the newer Helix dsp has upmixing. I know it atleast has a correct center channel steering..but no dirac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sbbratton

Advice: Upmixer miniDSP8x12DL 1 year 5 months ago #49948

• sbbratton
  • sbbratton's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks for your reply. I was beginning to think I’d never get a response. With regard to your final comment re:DIRAC, I was planning to use the 5.1ch output from the Alpine PXA-H800 (Front Left High; Front Left Low; Front Right High; Front Right Low; Center; Rear Left; Rear Right; and Subwoofer) and route all 8-channels through DIRAC on the miniDSP 8x12DL. I would then use the mixer to split the FL and FR into Mids and Tweets (for a 3-way front) and the RL and RR into lows and highs (for a 2-way rear). I now have both the H800 and 8x12DL, so if I’m not thinking about this correctly, I would be grateful for your thoughts? Thanks.

Advice: Upmixer miniDSP8x12DL 11 months 1 week ago #53958

• vkg1
  • Thank you received: 1
Can you clarify if this means that the software will not be able to automatically set up the other 4 channels, or will it be able to up all channels but only without impulse response correction on four of them? I guess I am a little unclear on what only having Dirac on 8 channels means, exactly. I think of Dirac as being a kind of “auto tune” with an extra kind of correction added called “impulse response correction”. Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edit: by vkg1.

Advice: Upmixer miniDSP8x12DL 11 months 1 day ago #54115

• mitchwolos
I don't think the additional ADC-DAC will degrade the sound audibly.

It's not Dirac on only 8 channels.

The DSP has 8 channels of Dirac. You're supposed to group the fronts as 2 channels. Rears as 2 channels. Etc

You route the input into Dirac. Then. Each Dirac output can be routed to separate channels.

Let's say you have a 3 way front setup. Dirac will correct the 3 way setup with 2 channels. Center 2 way as 1 channel. Rears as 2 channels.

The Helix DSP doesn't have an upmixer. It has Realcenter which is basically a summed center that only plays information that's dead center (mono). If it's left or right of center. It doesn't send that information to the center. It also doesn't remove the center information from the left and right channels.

The H800 is the only DSP I know of that you can currently buy with an upmixer. So, H800 to 8x12 is pretty much your only option.

Technically you'd have a higher signal to noise ratio by controlling the volume through the 8x12. But, I doubt it's audible.

You would have some delay if you sent output channels directly from the H800 to amplifiers and some through the minidsp. But, You could compensate for this by adding delay to the outputs in the Alpine. You can measure this with REW,

I'm currently using an Alpine F1 DVI-9990 and PXI-H990 in multichannel mode into a minidsp 8x12 for 3 way front. 2 way center. 2 way rear. With the subwoofer outputs to a front and rear subwoofer. I have a second H990 but it doesn't have linkwitz filters, stop band EQing or allpass filters (which are key for Multichannel). So. I went with the 8x12 to process the speakers.

If you do it this way. You'll need to control the volume with the headunit or Alpine DSP.

You'd need to configure the Alpine DSP to not have high and low fronts. The 8x12 only has 6 RCA inputs.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam