Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

C-DSP 8x12 DL help/advice 2 years 2 weeks ago #43791

• mikoz
  • mikoz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a head unit with preamp outs for 4 channels plus a sub (5 total), these eventually go to a JL amp. But the head unit itself powers the 2 front tweeters with its internal amp (no external amp). Therefore, I have a total of 5 low level and 2 high level signals that need to be processed. I’d love to be able to intercept the tweeters before they are amplified but I cannot think of a way to do this without getting a bigger amp and and running a lot more wiring.

Would the 8x12 work in this case? I see that I can provide up to 6 low levels inputs (that works) and also up to 6 high level inputs (also works) but it appears that all outputs are low level. Is this correct?

How would you proceed in this case? If the unit can output a high level signal plus the Low level signals., it would seem to be a great fit but I don’t see now that’s possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

C-DSP 8x12 DL help/advice 1 year 11 months ago #44154

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1290
@mikoz

Not sure to fully understand your setup... If it's tweeters, you already have that signal from the DSP low level input. (i.e. L&R front)
AKA, you don't need these high level signals and you can easily use the DSP to derive audio for these 2 tweets (i.e. 5 x IN, 7 x OUT). No?
You will need an amp anyway for these tweets as the CDSP 8x12 can't power tweeters. :-)

Maybe missing something... A diagram would help.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Last edit: by devteam.

C-DSP 8x12 DL help/advice 8 months 4 days ago #53388

• dumdum
Buy a small compact two channel and put it behind the dash, you are correct the 8-12 processor cannot process the tweeters as it needs to be between the headunit and the amplifier for the tweeters (which currently is built into the hu, so a small amplifier is required

C-DSP 8x12 DL help/advice 1 month 5 days ago #56600

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 57
You have no business trying to use a 8x12dl on such a setup. I hope that don’t sound mean or unpleasant. It’s a dam good processor and having any part of the system not running through its processing will surly make anyone that listens to the car not be impressed with mini DSP 

please do us the favor vor the community. We need ppl to know how frankly bad ass this unit is. We need ppl like you to utilize it properly. 

you have to think to yourself now.. what to do??? Lol ..... get a uplifting heart about it and just go all in!!! Get a 5ch amp to run everything! Don’t use the high level inputs as they will have bad sounding artifacts to it and inherent noise and inherent clipping..... 

just use your two full range low level inputs let the processor do the rest. Everything else can be done in DSP you won’t need a fader or bad knob with this as it balances everything perfectly. And it has a bass knob that works better then the decks...

you wil thank me later! Don’t get JL audio it’s overpriced yet good quality just over priced , go with alpine type X amps .... better sounding then JL and cheaper! 

go for the alpine XA90v 5ch or a Xa70f 4ch....  it’s the best bang for the buck and you will be absolutely impressed 

do passive crossovers for your components Dirac will fix there issues just make sure you use one that has polypropylene capacitors and air core coils. Or get the alpine xa70f and go active on the front and the alpine xa90m for a sub amp 

C-DSP 8x12 DL help/advice 1 month 5 days ago #56607

• mikoz
With all due respect, you’re completely wrong.  I did this project almost 2 years ago amd it came amazing. I wound up using 5 channels for the 6 speakers and the sub (car has 6 speakers amd I lumped the ones on the door and the dashpad together).  I cut out a USB port so that  I can directly interface with the minidspinnthe car easily. I am very satisfied with the end result and performance. in fact dirac makes a much more profound amd positive impact in this application than it does in my dedicated theater room. 

C-DSP 8x12 DL help/advice 1 month 5 days ago #56609

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Actually I’m not 

if your not running speakers through the DSP there arriving like 26ms too early 
and there’s no timing correction and It’s pure luck if you get the frequency response right 

so .... unless I’m not understanding something......

C-DSP 8x12 DL help/advice 1 month 5 days ago #56610

• mikoz
All 6 speakers and the single sub are going through the dsp using 5 channels.   The front 2 speakers on the dashboard and the 2 in the front door are routed to two DSP channels (left and right).  The 2 speakers in the rear doors are routed to two dsp channels and the sub is routed to the 5th channel.  

Last edit: by mikoz. Reason: Typo

C-DSP 8x12 DL help/advice 1 month 5 days ago #56613

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Okay then I apologize for  nit understanding , I thought your original post said it was half hi level amd half low level and you don’t have enough amp channels for all the speakers so you’ll have to keep the tweeters ran off the deck..... 

so then you got it. 

• Page:
Moderators: devteam