Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

C-DSP 6x8 Alternator whine 2 years 9 months ago #41490

• dantell
  • dantell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, looking for some suggestions.

Moved my system finally to my new car and i can't get rid of the last tiny bit of alternator whine. In my previous car i had no issues and i am hooked up pretty much the same way. Nissan Rogue 2018, stock radio. There is no amp turn on lead so i have added a circuit to a switched accessory fuse. I have new good quality cables. I have tried using the turn on circuit to power the CDSP and provide the turn on current. I have it grounded to a grounding block that my amps are using. This is how it was set up in the previous car. I got an annoying whine, not intensely loud but noticeable even with the stereo off.

I then tried using my main power block as the power source and used the turn on current circuit, just for the turn on signal. I moved my grounding location to a couple of different spots and it is ultimately connected to a cross bar in the back which i took a dremel and sand paper to, to make sure i have a solid ground. I have re-terminated the ground cables.

I have the audio signal coming from the high power out front speakers soldered behind the head unit. There is no alternator whine coming from the head unit that i can tell (the rear speakers are still stock, but muted). If i disconnect the input terminal on the cdsp i still get the wine. if i disconnect the rca's to the amps, i don't get the whine. After the changes i've made so far, it has reduced the amount of whine, but not eliminated it. It seems to be at a constant volume and changing the input volume doesnt seem to increase the output of the whine.

I was looking at the MiniDC isolator, but the CDSP appears to have that function built in. My next step i guess is to put in a separate ground for the CDSP and see if that helps. Then maybe new RCAs.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

C-DSP 6x8 Alternator whine 2 years 9 months ago #41518

• dantell
It appears to be my remote turn on circuit. It is running from the fuse box in the driver side door well. I have replaced all the RCA's and put a new ground in just for the C-DSP, re-terminated and tested other fuses and tried a ground loop isolator. Going to try the power antenna lead behind the head unit and hope it isn't only triggered when the head unit is in radio mode.

C-DSP 6x8 Alternator whine 2 years 5 months ago #43104

• AAsearles
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm chasing a similar or same issue with RPM-dependent whine that I initially thought was the C-DSP, but mine is only noticeable when C-DSP's master (remote) volume is near max (above -6dB) level. I've tried rewiring ground and positive, used choke coils on power, and tried a high-quality isolator box. Varying results, but now I think the whine may be coming from the (OEM) source unit.

Did you solve your issue by changing the remote turn-on circuit?

C-DSP 6x8 Alternator whine 2 years 5 months ago #43105

• dantell
Mine turned out to be an issue with a door speaker and possibly some of the wire routing. The speaqker wiring mount on one side had broken part way so most movement would push the speaker lead tinsel up to short out. by that point i had rewired the entire thing with a better fuse box and better wire placement. It's dead quiet now. I have a box of solutions i tried that didn't help. The shorting also damaged one of my amps so i had to get the power supply rebuilt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AAsearles

C-DSP 6x8 Alternator whine 2 years 5 months ago #43135

• AAsearles
Thanks for the reply. I think I just solved my issue (accidentally). Between my main power distribution/fuse block (two 20A & one 40A fuses) and the battery I installed a 60A inline breaker, which I understand is underrated, but it's never tripped before, so I haven't been that concerned. Yesterday I was testing the subwoofer, playing a track with lots of LF energy ("Time", Hans Zimmer, Inception Score), and it finally tripped. After resetting, the system is dead quiet. I think all of this time the breaker has been a weak link, being nudged little by little and creating a weaker and weaker positive connection. I was focusing on grounds and individual positive connections, but I didn't think to check the main power. I will be replacing the breaker with an 80A version very soon!

C-DSP 6x8 Alternator whine 2 years 5 months ago #43137

• GroundLoop
Need to find out if it is a ground loop issue or radiated noise from other heavy gauge high amperage wires. Since you are using the speaker level outputs I would tend to think it is a ground loop post minidsp. Unless the minidsp is mounted in the dash somewhere - then it is possible it is radiated noise. Wherever it is mounted try moving it a few feet away from its current location. Same think with the RCA's after the minidsp - try moving them or if already installed hook up temporary ones. Could also disconnect the high level input on the minidsp and see if the noise persists. The key is to isolate the problem.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam