Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dirac live in car...a shared experience ;)

Dirac live in car...a shared experience ;) 8 months 6 days ago #34666

• denver8me4dinner
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
So gents ,
I can’t believe it took this long to figure this one out . I found a way with Dirac Live to get a good sounding tune without a bunch of pre-tune or post-tune nonsense.

I also discovered that my Dirac Live was blowing all my right channel compression drivers.

So in my 2x4HD I had the sub input matrix Left is Left and Right is Right (as if it were a stereo setup) well , my sub amp only receives an input from one channel and the ground from the other (and if there is no other the grounds are common single ended. It’s a mono JL audio HD1200/1 . So when I did my Dirac measurements the right side had no sub in the measurement. So it boosted the crap out of the LF! Yeah I didn’t notice because when I do do sweeps with the sub you can’t barely notice it and I have that much midbass. Secondly, my target had about a 10db difference between 20-100hz and 200hz to 20khz. That tilt up added a lot of LF to the rest of the signal chain , regardless of crossover points .

For the best results in a car, make your Dirac target dam near flat. Than use your bass knob to boost the sub bass after the correction, and use your midbass amp gain (if you must) to get a fatter midbass (although you probably won’t want to it will be pretty nice as is. Draw the target on the lowest part of the frequency response biggest dip.

1. Much more gain back , much much more
2. Way better sounding throughout and realism is down right unparalleled.
3. Won’t blow sensitive drivers.

It’s about remaking the original music track “flat response “ but fitted perfectly for your room.

Now after your done with that, use a RTA with pink noise and do moving mic averages around front of your head and see where the peaks are Dirac created on its “flat” target. Now another important step.

Use the Dirac target maker and cut the peaks from Dirac. That is key to getting it all to really get the wow thing happening. Do that and I promise you won’t be disappointed. Only tuning that needs to be done on the DSP outside of DL is maybe some very small delay adjustments no more than 0.10ms and thats about it. If you have to turn down a frequency on one side , do it in DL and split the target into separate left and Right targets. Just know what that frequency is don’t guess.
Make sure to set any sub input matrix to see both Left and Right on each respective output.

( on a side note can’t wait to see the 2018 update! That’s exactly the stuff I’ve been doing manually!)

And subterFUSE, man get the 88A if you like it. Just do this method and it will work amazing. I just realized it runs 48k IIRC and that would give it very ample tap flexibility.

Andrew
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, lxpin

Dirac live in car...a shared experience ;) 4 months 3 weeks ago #36228

• Jscoyne2
  • Fresh Boarder
denver8me4dinner wrote:
So gents ,
I can’t believe it took this long to figure this one out . I found a way with Dirac Live to get a good sounding tune without a bunch of pre-tune or post-tune nonsense. But it still has a 10DB limit right? So level matching is necessary?

For the best results in a car, make your Dirac target damn near flat(Define Damn Near). Than use your bass knob to boost the sub bass after the correction( My subbass has a natural slope from 30hz to 100hz, how do i take that into account for being flat? Do i just run the dirac measurements with my bass knob all the way down or basically off and let it tune me down to flat?), and use your midbass amp gain (if you must) to get a fatter midbass(Honestly, what. I feel like levels are going to be all over the place and if you're already tuned for a flat response, youll simply be raising your midbass bandpassed frequencies in a flat raise. My MB goes from 50hz to 250hz.

Basically you want your curve to look like stairs. Flat spot, lower flat spot, lower flat spot. i tried drawing it but the formatting wont work for this forum.

(although you probably won’t want to it will be pretty nice as is. Draw the target on the lowest part of the frequency response biggest dip.

1. Much more gain back , much much more
2. Way better sounding throughout and realism is down right unparalleled.
3. Won’t blow sensitive drivers.

It’s about remaking the original music track “flat response “ but fitted perfectly for your room.

Now after your done with that, use a RTA with pink noise and do moving mic averages around front of your head and see where the peaks are Dirac created on its “flat” target. Now another important step.

You talked about different mic positions than normal in an earlier post. Are you saying to use those or the normal "chair" ones for this?

Honestly, you should make a video and cover all this extensively.
Andrew
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Jscoyne2.

Dirac live in car...a shared experience ;) 2 months 1 week ago #37216

Denver...

What is your current input->output device connection order?

I'm wondering if the DIRAC units could be used with any DSP and, why is the DSP still needed? Why can you just run the DIRAC direct to the amps? Is it that the DIRAC's don't have crossover output channels?

My vehicle application is for a 2-way front stage + sub.
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds