Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

C-DSP - control from the the android 5 years 8 months ago #30022

• Jedai
  • Jedai's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 10
Please treat with understanding and light humor to what is written below. My friend translated for me this text into English.

Hello everyone!

After the launch of the processor and transfer to output of music via USB-SPDIF converter, besides the joy due to these events, I faced an inconvenience in the control of music.

The inconvenience is the following:
— radio, navigation and everything else goes via standard state audio tract of CPU and it is managed by the standard volume control, but the music which is performed by UAPP player (plays from USB directly) can’t be controlled by the same standard volume controller.
— UAPP can manage the volume “in digits”, but its volume control hardware isn’t connected with CPU volume anyhow and it’s really not comfortable to manipulate the volume of music separately from the volume, say, of notifications about cameras or navigation. So, you are driving, the navigator is taking you along your way, UAPP is playing music. Beautiful. And then you hear your favorite band and, naturally, you want to make the sound louder. But to do that, you need to switch to UAPP and use the screen to tap the volume. It takes my bloody time!

Ways of solution:
— to adjust the volume on CPU and once in UAPP and then manage the volume from the miniDSP remote as it is master volume, so it’s the final element, which regulates the volume of all processor’s outputs.
— to write a program for the CPU which will catch the value of system volume and, basing on this value, which will control the volume of UAPP.

So, you’ve got variants, but all of them don’t seem to be not so comfortable. In the first case, the standard CPU volume controller will be out of use and the miniDSP controller looks like a piece of… specific equipment for a fan. And because of it I can’t put it in the most comfortable spot (under my right hand). And if you put it in a niche behind the gearshift selector – it’s too far to reach it every time you need.
(Sure, you may solve it gracefully by taking the mainboard out of the remote and installing it into the tunnel under the right hand. But I haven’t done that, who knows, what if I change the processor the other day, right?)

In the second case, besides the fact that you need an additional software (by the way, enthusiasts are taking care of this question), there is a bloody defect in the digital controlling of volume, when the quality of the sound decreases as soon as you press the volume down. I haven’t dug the question really deep, but I’ve got the main idea – avoid using the digital volume control. So this variant is not an option too, moreover UAPP has recently got a trendy bit-perfect mode, when the player puts out all the digital stream without any processing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

C-DSP - control from the the android 5 years 8 months ago #30023

• Jedai
I am an engineer! :evil:

The 1st idea.
After thinking over the problem, I’ve remembered that my CPU is on Android and it has got a USB and thus miniDSP has a USB for adjusting when it is connected to PC. And what if I plug the processor directly in the CPU and start volume controlling directly via USB? That’s an awesome idea, dude! – I thought to myself. I’ll write a program for Android and it’s going to be awesome. Screw you! – thought the creators of the processor. I’m not going into details on how I finally got the commands for the processor’s USB HID. It was not that easy indeed. So, now I can change the presets, mute the channels and all this jazz, but not the bloody volume! They just didn’t install this function. I mean, even the native software for the PC can only show you the value of master volume but is not able to change it.
(I was even more shocked to receive the confirmation of this fact by the creators of the processor, who were puzzled how the f,,ck I had gotten into their protocol. By the way, they have enjoyed the idea of the control via Android and promised to think of it. But they offered no solution to me)

The 2nd idea.
To install an Infrared port into the CPU and manipulate the processor via it. It (the processor) can learn any commands from practically all remote controllers. While I was thinking this idea over, I declined it: there was no feedback, the CPU wouldn’t know which volume was set up. The control from the remote looks like this:

(By the way, in this video you may see the first attempt to tune the remote, originally it doesn’t have any level indicator and any window for it. Though, it has place on the motherboard and all the necessary functional. Well, that’s why I’ve used that idea)

The 3rd idea.
You may have noticed the blue stripes of volume level indicator on the video above. So, the next variant was to take the Arduino and connect it to the CPU via USB HID. The volume level from the CPU I would transfer to the Arduino, which, in response, would lock the encoder of the remote’s volume (it is not a potentionometer, but a multiway encoder as a wheel on a PC mouse). And the level I would take from the contacts of volume level indicator and would transfer it back to the CPU.
The result was not satisfactory at all: only 10 values for the processor’s range from 0 to 128 decibel. In fact, only half of the range could be used, so, all in all, I got 5 volume values and that was really unacceptable.

C-DSP - control from the the android 5 years 8 months ago #30024

• Jedai
The 4th idea.
While rereading the letter from the miniDSP support I saw a reference to a CAN between a standard remote and a processor. Immediately, I wrote a letter with a request to get the commands in the protocol, having explained them, in details, why I needed them. Hell no! It seems like that took me for a Russian psych that would start making processors on my bloody balcony. They just stopped responding at all. F,,ck that, I took my oscillograph and started to search for the index point, step by step, counting zeroes and ones.
So, it took me about three hours of a thorough search and I got everything I wanted for the CAN protocol: adjustment commands and the value of factual volume, the mute and the managing of an active preset. That was an epic victory!

I couldn’t help trying and wrote a controlling program for a program controller (the only hardware with the CAN that was on my disposal)

Final adjustment
So, finally, I took an Arduino, attached a CAN interface to it and made out of this bunch an analog of a native remote, managed via USB. In fact, on the same CAN bus bar I have two remotes – a native one and mine on the Arduino.

Arduino gets power from USB and is connected to CAN on the remote’s motherboard

Close to the socket connecting remote to the processor appeared a small but a very functional microUSB slot. ;)

When CPU remote connects it sees it as a USB HID device

During the process of upgrading the hardware part of the remote I changed the bloody wild blue button indicators onto red ones, matching the standard system and added the volume level indicator, having cut a window for it in the body.

The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, tonymuka

C-DSP - control from the the android 5 years 8 months ago #30025

• Jedai
Unfortunately, I’ve never written any software for Android, and it was my first and painful experience. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me and petrows for the open code of his mtc-service, I took a lot from it.
All in all, my program catches the changes of volume on the CPU and transfers this value to Arduino, which, in response, sends into the CAN processor the data for volume setting up. Also from the screen of the CPU I can switch the presets on the processor. Well, that is a satisfactory functional for work and I am too bloody lazy to finish the feedback process: when I switch the lever to show it on the CPU.
No, my program doesn’t work as a clock, but I’m working on it, step by step. All the major functions are fine, seriously.

The last moment is left: when I switch the lever on the CPU (or press the buttons on the steering wheel), according to the standard CPU volume I have master volume installed on the processor. But, the volume changes on the linear outputs of the radio-recorder which outputs the volume of radio and navigation.
So, I’ve got a double regulation in these channels. What a bloody dirty hack! . As well as many owners of such CPU, quite long ago I made a direct sound processor control. In the settings there are minimum and maximum values of volume of the system.

So, if you make these two parameters equal, the volume level indicator continues working, though the volume doesn’t change. That’s a solution as it is.
I’ve installed a remote where I wanted, in the niche.

Well, the final video of how it works. :) I change the volume buttons on the steering wheel. Note on the radio at the same time change to the volume level indicator and the remote in the niche of the selector gearbox, and of the volume change, it controls from the C-DSP processor by commands from the radio! For what it all and was started! :woohoo:

All the best of luck! As you can see, it is possible to have different solutions for every problem! ))
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, imi11

C-DSP - control from the the android 5 years 8 months ago #30072

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1412
Wow!! This is the most advanced customization we've seen to-date I think....
You really took one step further! Very impressive work... Note that it's worth clarifying to others that I think there must have been quite few hours behind it and obviously some engineering background.

Anyway, we're very very impressed by the end result! You definitely get 5 stars and a sticky on your post! :-)
Keep us updated on how things go

DevTeam

PS: To the general "swearing" words you're using in between the lines to mention comments to our team, I'd appreciate that we stay civil and proper. Sounds good? We actually do have a volume control command.. :-) I'm not sure who you talked to for our team at the tech support (few of us answering emails/ aka DevTeam) but it has always been the company policy to make sure we don't get dragged into debugging 3rd party code. It's time consuming knowing the wide range of programmers out there, our engineers would turn to become tech support debugging code rather than developping new products. With this said, we've been helping lots of diyers out there make this happen, so it all depends on how the question is being asked and getting some understanding as to knowledge of the end users.
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Last edit: by devteam.

C-DSP - control from the the android 5 years 8 months ago #30077

• Jedai
Thank you for your appreciation. :) I really engineer and I have some experience, if we add to the above the enthusiasm and stubbornness then the problem could not be left unresolved))

I am in no way saddened technical support, I tell them to just thank for what they gave me. I have no complaints about them. Please excuse me if I put it in the text is too rough. :oops: The text of the above - this is a free translation of my friend from Russian to English of my article . The article was originally written with irony, probably when my friend translated the article, he added a little "pepper". :blush: Once again, please do not take this to heart.

I really like your products. I recommend it to my friends and some of them have also gained access to miniDSP. I have written several articles about the C-DSP, they read with interest. One and Two and about UMIK and UMIK+REW and about delays I am pleased to be divided by the fact that I really like.

Thank you! :laugh:

C-DSP - control from the the android 5 years 8 months ago #30158

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1412
@ Jedai

Thanks much for your feedback and understanding. As engineers, we understand each others.. :-)
We would certainly love for you to share with us your system as I'm sure you're going to eventually do some upgrades... ahaha

take care,

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

C-DSP - control from the the android 4 years 7 months ago #35470

• guimond47
  • Thank you received: 0
how did u get steering wheel controls to work on your app. i already have an remote app to control my dsp master volume, im thinking if i can just send my steering wheel control functions to the app through android to control the volume on the unit and app at the same time, ill be able to create something similar.. let me know thanks

C-DSP - control from the the android 4 years 7 months ago #35487

• Jedai
The volume control functions from the steering wheel have already been integrated into the radio (it's on the android from China) I just catch the event of volume changes inside the android.

Last edit: by Jedai.

C-DSP - control from the the android 4 years 7 months ago #35488

• guimond47
  • Thank you received: 0
Well from the look of it, u made an app to utilize the steering wheel controls to control the master volume on the drc for dsp.

I bought a pheonix gold dsp 8.8 and they are very similar to the ranbow. And im curious if theres a possibility u can re create this for me

C-DSP - control from the the android 4 years 7 months ago #35504

• Jedai
Sorry, I've never had pheonix gold dsp, I do not know anything about them.

C-DSP - control from the the android 3 years 10 months ago #38937

I am attempting to do something similar; my microntroller already talks CAN - would you be willing to share the CAN commands you sniffed out and perhaps save me the time of having to do so?

I lost my wired remote :( - ideally I want to replace it with a program and just send CAN commands directly spoofing the remote. I inquired about buying a replacement remote but ultimately hope to do something better like this anyways!

Great work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jedai

C-DSP - control from the the android 3 years 10 months ago #38938

• Jedai
Hello man!

It is a good idea to make a selfmade remote. I inserted the code from my Arduino below, it was a long time ago, but it still works. Then there was still no support for adjusting the level of the subwoofer and I do not use it in the code. Please translate comments by Google translator :cheer: .

Respectfully!

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: [email protected]

C-DSP - control from the the android 3 years 10 months ago #38954

Thank you so much! - This is exactly what I needed... spare one small item I'm hoping you might be able to help with too.

I'm actually using the same MCP2515 CAN interface you are - but I'm not certain which pins you connected the CAN H/L interface to? I'm assuming they map directly to two of the pins on the 6 pin input to the remote, but I'm hoping you can tell me which ones specifically, even better if you happen to have a picture of the underside where you soldered them?

C-DSP - control from the the android 3 years 10 months ago #38958

• Jedai
Hello! Thank you for your appreciation. I did not take a photo of the connection to the board, but there is nothing complicated. Only four conductors, you can see them on the cable connector. Two of them are the supply voltage (you can easily find them with a multimeter), the remaining two are can bus (do not be afraid to confuse canH and canL, nothing terrible will happen, only there will be no connection). There really is nothing complicated.

If the cable is six-wire - just do not use the conductors of the edge, I think so.

Last edit: by Jedai.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam