Welcome to the MiniDSP forum
Check out news from our Dev Team.

TOPIC: New Builds for all plugins

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 2 weeks ago #53161

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1207
Dear All

As some of you might be aware, Adobe Air ended support and development early this year. Harman officially took over support of the platform as described in this post (blog.adobe.com/en/2019/05/30/the-future-of-adobe-air.html). It's indeed a great news as their new SDK solves a wide range of issues.

We've now released new builds for all our plugins using the latest Harman SDK. No additional downloads is required anymore. No Adobe Air download/installation is required anymore . Simply install the software and you'll be all set. :-)

If you had Adobe Air installed previously, you can uninstall.

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
Last Edit: 1 month 5 days ago by devteam. Reason: clarification on Adobe air install
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dreite

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 2 weeks ago #53206

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 209
I may be misunderstanding what you mean by 'new builds for all of our plugins' but I don't see an updated plugin to download for the SHD devices? I've not checked others.

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 2 weeks ago #53207

• Jim the Oldbie
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 78
Yikes!

Before I try this out, can anyone tell me if the new builds allow more than one instance of a plugin to run at once, the way I've been doing with the Air App Duplicator app? Or will Air App Duplicator function the same as before?

If I can't do this trick anymore, it will complicate things a fair bit.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Jim the Oldbie.

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 2 weeks ago #53213

• rodrigaj
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Ultrasonic wrote:
I may be misunderstanding what you mean by 'new builds for all of our plugins' but I don't see an updated plugin to download for the SHD devices? I've not checked others.

I just checked. My latest updates are from December. Not sure what @DevTeam meant.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: michelangelo, Emiel

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 1 week ago #53485

• thpn
  • Fresh Boarder
devteam wrote:
Dear All

As some of you might be aware, Adobe Air ended support and development early this year. Harman officially took over support of the platform as described in this post (blog.adobe.com/en/2019/05/30/the-future-of-adobe-air.html). It's indeed a great news as their new SDK solves a wide range of issues.

We've now released new builds for all our plugins using the latest Harman SDK. No additional downloads is required anymore. No Adobe Air download is required. Simply install the software and you'll be all set. :-)

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

DevTeam

Do the new builds also include Adobe Flash?

Since Adobe announced the end of life for Flash, it is being removed from all browsers.

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Running unmaintained or poorly maintained applications is very dangerous when they have the level of system permissions that the combination of Flash and Air require! It's impossible to predict what Sumsung might do with these applications after 2023.

At best, these technologies are a dead end. I don't want to buy products that only have a useful life of less than two years!

What are the future plans of miniDSP Ltd. to replace these obsolete and deprecated technologies?

Is a modern, truly cross-platform solution planned? One perhaps based on Web standards that can run natively across all platforms, ranging from very popular ones to obscure ones that you can't support now? One that can be written once and run anywhere? One that doesn't require you to maintain several different code bases?
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by thpn. Reason: Added important points.

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 1 week ago #53595

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the update @misterg187.

Is it OK for everyone running the latest plugin versions to uninstall Adobe Air now, or are current plugins for some devices still reliant on this?

Thanks.
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Ultrasonic.

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 1 week ago #53597

• devteam
  • Administrator
Dear all,

To clarify a bit more the situations
a) Adobe Air was indeed EOL by Adobe
b) Harman (Owned by Samsung) has one of the largest user of this platform (mostly in cars infotainment with millions of devices in the field) took over the support after many years of behind the scenes support.

Having more than 30 plugins to maintain (x 2 for Mac + Mini), we obviously can't switch in a jiffy to a brand new solution. While there are indeed major behind the scenes work ongoing on some other platform that's just not realistic to think we'd have 60 builds issued knowing the complexity of these platforms. Here is what happened:
- All builds were recompiled with new Harman SDK which actually is much better than before and solved a lot of issues we had before. We therefore respectfully disagree with the concept that Harman/Samsung is unsuited for the task. They have indeed much bigger interest than miniDSP to keep this going knowing the millions of device they have to maintain. Their support has also been amazing. Refreshing!
- Some builds (E.g. SHD) indeed already had everything done a while back. Just nobody noticed since it's behind the scenes happening with a double click installing everything..:-)
- New manuals are being updated to remove the mention of installing Adobe Air (not required anymore)

Bottom line everybody will hopefully be happy as you all have a working software, miniDSP isn't exactly a new company who wouldn't worry about these.. We have a solution, everybody can control their platform and as far as we know so far, no downtime for using your DSP with all the features you've been using.. If there are some issues, maybe start a support ticket as it will be the easiest. THanks!
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by devteam. Reason: Repost as using wrong test account.

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 1 week ago #53613

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
^I'm afraid that intended clarification didn't actually answer my question @devteam.

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 1 week ago #53637

• thpn
  • Fresh Boarder
devteam wrote:
While there are indeed major behind the scenes work ongoing on some other platform...

Can you share any details about the new platform? Will it support new clients, like Android, iOS and Linux? Can you estimate an availability date?

Will the new platform require the unrestricted access to local storage and file systems that your current applications require, because of their dependency on Air? In other words, will your new platform be more secure?

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 6 days ago #53679

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 670
Ultrasonic wrote:
^I'm afraid that intended clarification didn't actually answer my question @devteam.
I don't know what's unclear about devteam's statement on this.
If running the latest versions, you do not need Adobe Air. (Yes, you can uninstall it from your computer.....assuming you don't need it for something else.)

Dave.

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 6 days ago #53680

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
dreite wrote:
Ultrasonic wrote:
I don't know what's unclear about devteam's statement on this.
If running the latest versions, you do not need Adobe Air. (Yes, you can uninstall it from your computer.....assuming you don't need it for something else.)

Dave.

Nope, sorry, I've just reread the posts above again and I still don't think it's clear this is definitely the case from what has been written. I wondered if it might be though, hence the question.

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 5 days ago #53688

• devteam
  • Administrator
FYI, we've clarified the statement on adobe air install. It's is "not" required anymore providing you've updated your plugin to the latest builds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ultrasonic

New Builds for all plugins 1 month 5 days ago #53692

• devteam
  • Administrator
thpn wrote:
devteam wrote:
While there are indeed major behind the scenes work ongoing on some other platform...

Can you share any details about the new platform? Will it support new clients, like Android, iOS and Linux? Can you estimate an availability date?

Will the new platform require the unrestricted access to local storage and file systems that your current applications require, because of their dependency on Air? In other words, will your new platform be more secure?

unfortunately we don't share information on our roadmap, timeline and feature set before it's released as per our company policy. We can only say that it's a completely new paradigm and not comparable to what we had before. We think it will be very neat. :-)
Moderators: devteam