Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Re: equal loudness contour

equal loudness contour 3 years 8 months ago #1374

• gpapag
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all

I wonder if it is feasible having a new plug-in designed as a software implementation of a “equal loudness contour” (aka Fletcher Munson curves ) - or continuous variable loudness- filter.
The variable (loudness level) will be the miniDSP volume pot wiper signal, multiplied by a customer’s defined constant “k”, which will represent the SPL coming out of his speaker system for each volume control position (i.e. “k” represents the sensitivity of his speakers).

Best Regards
George
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by gpapag.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: equal loudness contour 3 years 8 months ago #1375

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 230
George,

That's an interesting idea.. no clue if we could or would implement it but let's see how many other community members are interested.

DevTeam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.

Re: equal loudness contour 3 years 8 months ago #1378

• gpapag
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
dev team thank you for responding.
I have posted at
[url=http://http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/minidsp/177361-equal-loudness-contour-filter-minidsp-can-done.]diyaudio.com[/url]
to see if other people are interested.

Best Regards
George

Re:equal loudness contour 3 years 8 months ago #1455

This idea came to some of us in the Swedish group buy as well.

Lets say you adjust your system to your liking at 75 dB, could be a house curve, could be a measured flat response, whatever. This would be done with the miniDSP volyme control at a certain position, say 50%.

This setting is now considered the "flat Fletcher-Munson at 75 dB", and every deviation from that volume control position should render an addition or subtraction of the difference from the 75dB curve to the current Fletcher-Munson one.

This way, when lowering the volume, the low frequencies get extra boost, and vice versa.

Offcourse, ISO 226:2003 would be used, as we are living in the present. ;-)

Re:equal loudness contour 3 years 8 months ago #1458

• muxx
  • Fresh Boarder
The Loudness feature is a bright idea.

- Valuable for home audio users. I would vote for upgrade from PEQ2.1 to "PEQL2.1" with my $10 without hesitation.
- Beneficial to company, by giving edge over certain popular "professional" boxes.
- Easy to implement. Few bi-quads sacrificed in existing PEQ add-ons, with coefficients derived from potentiometer ADC input and user-entered calibration value.

The interface might have an extra "Loudness Enabled" button next to "Volume Control Enabled", for choice of using the master Volume control, the Loudness, or both.

For calibration, the loudness at max volume might be entered manually by user - either as SPL measured at 1 kHz, or as calculation from speaker sensitivity and amp power, or as rough assumption.

Re:equal loudness contour 3 years 7 months ago #1540

• Wilhelm
  • Fresh Boarder
I also like this idea. Perfect would be to combine this with a continuous variable compressor.
On my TA-E2000 I have made three settings with loudness/compressor for different volumes.
If this would go automatically this would be incredible, perfect... :silly: :laugh:

regards Wilhelm
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.830 seconds